Advice on next step? Senior with low GPA, low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alilip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...

It's been a while since my last post and of course things always change from what we previously thought would happen. I am now a senior in undergrad, sitting at a 3.1 cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA. I need advice on what my next step should be.

My strengths:
-is a medical scribe
-leadership position on school sports team
-volunteering

My weaknesses:
-low gpa
-<500 MCAT score (should have voided due to illness the day of)

I know that I want to go into healthcare more than anything. Everything else frankly bores me and I'm so motivated to make this happen.

My question is what should i do next?
I was originally planning on doing an SMP but don't think I'm even competitive for that. I am also toying with the idea of a gap year to just work and restudy for the MCAT and then apply to an SMP and then med school? Maybe a DIY post bacc?

Any advice is helpful as I want to make this happen and I'm not ready to give up. I understand at this point that it will take me a while longer to get to where i want to go, but i'd appreciate any guidance I can get.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You still have about ~30 hours of credits left, and if you're a traditional student with about 90 credits right now, you'll be able to increase your GPA by a good amount. Straight A's could get you to something like 3.32/3.18.

Also, how far below 500 are we talking?

If we're looking at a 3.3/3.2 and a 499 MCAT, you'll definitely be competitive for SMP's and maybe even some of the newer D.O. schools.

Hey all...

It's been a while since my last post and of course things always change from what we previously thought would happen. I am now a senior in undergrad, sitting at a 3.1 cGPA and a 2.9 sGPA. I need advice on what my next step should be.

My strengths:
-is a medical scribe
-leadership position on school sports team
-volunteering

My weaknesses:
-low gpa
-<500 MCAT score (should have voided due to illness the day of)

I know that I want to go into healthcare more than anything. Everything else frankly bores me and I'm so motivated to make this happen.

My question is what should i do next?
I was originally planning on doing an SMP but don't think I'm even competitive for that. I am also toying with the idea of a gap year to just work and restudy for the MCAT and then apply to an SMP and then med school? Maybe a DIY post bacc?

Any advice is helpful as I want to make this happen and I'm not ready to give up. I understand at this point that it will take me a while longer to get to where i want to go, but i'd appreciate any guidance I can get.

Thanks
Ace everything from now on, and retake the MCAT. except this time, make good choices and do NOT retake until you are 100% ready.

I had similar stats to you (maybe a little higher GPA/MCAT, but hardly higher), so I can tell you that with the right planning, you can get into med school. But it's going to take a bit of work. Would definitely focus on doing the best you can on your remaining classes, and possibly, taking some more classes after you graduate. But retaking and doing fairly well on the MCAT is a must! Best of luck!