Advice on personal statement??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having a hard time with my personal statement. I began by doing just a bit of free writing and talking about experiences that I have had and how they affected me. But the more and more I write, it seems like i am having a hard time making it more emotional and less of a discussion. It's not that I don't feel it, but rather it's just hard to articulate it into words.

Does anyone have any advice on how to bring that side of me out? Anything other people did or success stories with the same problem? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

keep writing. i like top open multiple word documents and only write one paragraph per document. i read through all of them and then delete. and then i write a whole document.

it is okay to be emotional, as long as there is some logic that another (preferably all) human beings can relate to.

you have a lot of time. so you should try to write a little bit each day. think before you sleep etc. ask people to read things over. read sample essays, etc

Not everyone needs some emotional story where your mom had cancer and you want to know become a doc or something, in fact sometimes those can be the weakest essays and most boring since adcoms read 1902301923 of those each year. I started by writing a bunch of random paragraphs and trying to identify the best theme. In the end I focused on one theme and ran with it. Though im non-traditional so it was a little easier for me to write the PS but nonetheless i felt that really was the key trying to focus on one area.