Advice on picking undergrad school

Bella.Goth

Reaction score
I’m not very big on name brand schools - I’m only planning on applying to schools that offer (automatic) full rides based on my current stats. Most of the schools in my list are lower tier HBCUs. From what I understand, your undergrad doesn’t matter as long as you can get plenty of research, volunteering, and clinical experience in. I worry that if I go to one of the more rural schools on my list or one that doesn’t have a lot of research opportunities, I won’t be very competitive.

I’m going in as a bio major. At most of the schools, I’ll come in with about 30 credits through AP classes (but I’m iffy on using all of them). I also understand that, in some cases, going to undergrad in a different state may give you a slight boost for OOS med school applications. Is this true?

School A (Alabama)
Pros
  • Can maintain (auto) full ride with a 3.0
  • Research opportunities seem plentiful
  • Honors college (not sure if this is that big of a pro, but I'll list it here)
  • In a city
Cons
  • Small, somewhat unsafe city
  • No established pre med assistance organization

School B (Alabama)
Pros
  • Can maintain (auto) full ride with a 3.2
  • Pre med assistance group (with MCAT tutoring and exclusive(?) volunteering opportunities
  • Research opportunities seem plentiful
  • Small (about 2,000ish students)
Cons
  • About 45 minutes away from the nearest city (and I can't have a car until sophomore year)
  • According to a mock semester by semester schedule, I would have to take 17 credit hours every semester until senior year????
School C (Texas)
Pros
  • Can maintain (auto) full ride with a 3.2
  • Very nice facilities
  • Pre med assistance group (MCAT tutoring and slight boost for IS med schools... not sure what else it entails)
  • Honors program
  • Research opportunities plentiful (has more in depth info about undergrad volunteering than other schools)
Cons
  • 45 minutes away from the nearest city on a good day (and I can't have a car until sophomore year)
  • Closest hospital is 30 minutes away

School D (West Virginia)
Pros
  • Nice facilities
  • In a city
  • Honors college
  • Pre med assistance group (MCAT tutoring and networking)
Cons
  • Little mention of undergrad research
  • No mention of what GPA is necessary to maintain full ride (isn't automatic)
School E (Mississippi)
Pros
  • Nice facilities
  • Pre med assistance group
  • Research opportunities available
  • In a city
Cons
  • No mention of what it takes to maintain scholarship (isn't automatic)
School F (Virginia - In State)
Pros
  • Close to home
  • Plenty of research opportunities
  • Attached to a med school
  • In a large city
  • Pre med assistance available
Cons
  • Most expensive - will probably end up costing somewhere between $7k - $11k per year
  • Not competitive for its BS/MD program, which is where it gets a lot of its students

Members don't see this ad.