V. Taylor

15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Status
I feel pretty discouraged right now...20 schools, and no good news so far. And I am really sick of being waitlisted. My spirits are pretty low, and I'm not sure if I'll get in anywhere. On that note, do you guys know which post bac. programs are good ones to look into? Which ones guarantee you a spot in their med. school for the following year? I'm not a disadvantaged student nor do I need to complete my premed. requirements. I'm looking for a postbac. enrichment program. (I have a 3.5 overall, and 30 mcat) Any advice would be appreciated!

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
Keep your head up. You might even get off a waitlist with a little bit of luck.

If not, I think Rosalind Franklin's program would be your best bet. For enrichment postbac programs, there's almost never a guarantee for US allo schools unless you're disadvantaged/URM. Rosalind Franklin takes many of their MS Applied Physio students into their med school for the following year, but technically there's no guaranteed admission. UPenn's Special Science has a non-glide year conditional linkage to UMDNJ-RWJ, but you have to qualify (whatever that means--residency perhaps?).

endodoc

Endocrinologist (MD, PhD)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2004
Status
V. Taylor said:
I feel pretty discouraged right now...20 schools, and no good news so far. And I am really sick of being waitlisted. My spirits are pretty low, and I'm not sure if I'll get in anywhere. On that note, do you guys know which post bac. programs are good ones to look into? Which ones guarantee you a spot in their med. school for the following year? I'm not a disadvantaged student nor do I need to complete my premed. requirements. I'm looking for a postbac. enrichment program. (I have a 3.5 overall, and 30 mcat) Any advice would be appreciated!

I heard of people who went to Postbac at Uconn and Umass and got into med school. Harvard has a really good program, if you can get in. I am a current resident and I do know some people who had to go offshore as well.

Best of luck, and any questions send a mesg.

Sancho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Status
post-bacs can be a ton of money and effort, might not be worth it in your situation. If you're just shooting to get in somewhere anywhere, you could just look at your app and "retool" it some if necessary-e.g. more focused theme and goals, attention grabbing uniqueness, etc. your stats are borderline but you should be able to get in somewhere if the rest of your app is pretty good. But hey, its still relatively early this year so don't worry too much about next year yet.