Advice on PT vs OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kagomecchan

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please offer me some advice. Thanks~

I'm new to the forum. I have been considering PT for awhile now. I'm 24 yrs old and have been out of school for 2 years. My major was biochemistry, but I didn't like working in research labs. My grades are average, maybe 3.0 general and 3.2~3.4 pre-req (not counting ochem and upper div biology classes like structural/metabolic biochem). I've been searching for my ideal profession for the better part of 2 years- I've tried optometric technician and pharmacy technician, and found both to be lacking. I want to go into PT because I want direct interaction with patients plus sense of fulfillment, and I'm really interested in helping people. I've had it with standing behind a counter LOL.

I recently learned of OT, and I want to get some ideas as to the difference between the 2. I do love crafts such as beading and crocheting, so I want to know if maybe OT would be a better fit for me? Would I have a better/easier chance of getting into a MOT program vs DPT program? Has anyone heard anything about U. of St. Augustine's dual MOT/DPT program?

Also, I haven't started my hours yet, as I'm still working FT as pharmacy technician. I want to ask you guys, did you just call up your local hospital and ask to volunteer in the PT department? I don't know any PTs to ask personally.

Another question I have is I have an opportunity to study internationally for a master's degree in physical therapy that starts this fall. The program is for 2 years, and mainly focus on theories and new technologies, with no clinical hours. I know that I probably will have to apply for a program in the US afterwards if I want to be able to practice here. Do you guys think it's worth it to have the experience? Tuition's not a worry for me. Will I be more competitive if I complete the master's program? If I complete my volunteer hours internationally, does that work?

Thanks for all your help. I'm glad I found a place to ask these questions 🙂