General Admissions & OTCAS Advice on Reapplying to MOT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXMOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am reapplying to the MOT programs in Texas. I applied this past year to only one program, UTMB and was waitlisted. I’m not sure if having two incomplete prerequisites had anything to do with it, but I’m currently finishing those up this semester. I am getting in more overshadowing hours, joined psi chi, and retaking my Gre. What else can I do to make my application better??
Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think one thing that helped me get accepted my first application cycle was staying in contact with the school, specifically the individuals in graduate admissions. Yes, they want great stats, but they also want to see that you’re genuinely interested in their program. One way to show you’re interested is to ask a lot of questions, but try and space them out so you don’t sound like a pest haha. The key here is to get your name familiarized with the graduate admissions committee so that when it comes time to review applications they will recognize your name. I used email as my primary method of communication. PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
In my year off, I retook my low prerequisites. Not having two could seem like not enough information to admit you, so that could be the reason for some schools. Especially ones with lots of applicants who do have all their classes completed. Retaking the GRE helped me raise my total score by 6 points. Also, accruing more hours is a great idea if possible. Something I feel that helped was switching out a weaker letter of rec with someone who knew me better. Try to get a really good one from an OT. Apply to schools that are in your range and realistic for your stats! I additionally started working a job that gave me what could be considered more experience in the field. Look at your purpose statement and consider if you are presenting yourself in a way that will set you apart from others, and a true heart felt reason why you are drawn to OT. I feel if they see in sum all of these efforts to better your application, you will be successful in the future!

Reactions: 1 users
In my year off, I retook my low prerequisites. Not having two could seem like not enough information to admit you, so that could be the reason for some schools. Especially ones with lots of applicants who do have all their classes completed. Retaking the GRE helped me raise my total score by 6 points. Also, accruing more hours is a great idea if possible. Something I feel that helped was switching out a weaker letter of rec with someone who knew me better. Try to get a really good one from an OT. Apply to schools that are in your range and realistic for your stats! I additionally started working a job that gave me what could be considered more experience in the field. Look at your purpose statement and consider if you are presenting yourself in a way that will set you apart from others, and a true heart felt reason why you are drawn to OT. I feel if they see in sum all of these efforts to better your application, you will be successful in the future!

Thank you so much I will definitely take all this in mind! I’m working on getting a job in anything that will help my chances in getting in.