Advice on reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csam123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding on how I should devote my time this year before I reapply to medical schools ( I applied pretty late and didn't get any interviews ) and was hoping I could get some advice on an couple things.

Stats:
3.55 Overall GPA, 3.4 Science (finishing up O-chem 2 this semester - long story)
504 MCAT (127,123,127,127), retake 508 (129,123,129,127)
A decent amount of shadowing experience ( 200+ hours with 6 different specialties ) and volunteer hours ( around 250+ hours working at a homeless shelter and habitat for humanity)

Options:
I have been accepted to a SMP program with pretty strong linkage to their medical school. I received my EMT certification last fall and I'm planning on volunteering as an EMT near my hometown. I was also thinking about retaking my MCAT ( because of my poor CARS score ).

I was just hoping someone could give me some insight on what they believe would be the best use of my time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A. Did you apply DO?
B. I personally don't think retaking the MCAT is a great idea, your 508 is a good score and since your CARS score didn't move, I would be hesitant about a third MCAT giving you a similar result as #2 which wouldn't look good. A lot of DO schools are willing to overlook a ~123, there are several people in the underdog thread who had subscores like that.
C. Is the SMP one of the Ohio ones at an MD school? If it's one of the three I am thinking of, I would do that this fall if you're gunning for MD barring that they're ok with your MCAT breakdown. Otherwise, I would beef up your clinical/direct patient care and reapply next cycle adding DO's.

A SMP could help you if you do well. When you eventually reapply apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. Apply to all of your Ohio schools (except Case). Also consider schools such as:
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Tulane
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
any new private schools that open by 2018 (Seton Hall, Roseman, etc.)
Also apply to at least 8 DO schools (including the one in Ohio) and you are competitive for all DO schools with your stats.

Thanks for the replys!

@femmegoblue
A. I did not apply DO this cycle but I plan on applying both MD and DO this June.
B. I agree, I am skeptical about retaking the MCAT as well -> I have been following the "Testing Solutions" CARS guide for about a month now but like you said, It will not look good to have a similar score. Although, I do think that my CARS score is going to cause some problems with MD med schools, so that is the main reason I was considering retaking it ( scheduled for April 22nd )
C. Yes, I have been accepted to Toledo MSBS and I am waiting to hear back from UC and Georgetown.

@Faha
Thanks for the advice I'll look into those schools!