Advice on research hours for MSTP programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beluga9999

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason to panic, and it's certainly not "too late" - nothing wrong with taking a gap year or two or more to build up your research portfolio and interests. I switched fields in my junior year and decided to take a gap year of full-time research for this reason. It was the best thing that could have happened to me, both as an applicant and a person.

I agree with your last point: seems like a lot of pre-meds have the impression that working in more than one lab simultaneously will be regarded more favorably than a single research position (ie. *I* thought that). I think that really only holds true in the unlikely case that you are very productive in both and end up with papers/other deliverables from both. The more likely outcome is you have "okay" results in both that reflect part-time commitments, which is nowhere near as good for your application as one very positive experience with a glowing LOR and completed projects. On the other hand, it sounds like you were in a weird situation with your other PI leaving the university, so maybe this is actually a good thing and you can now consolidate your research to one PI.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.