advice on research opportunities w/o prior background

Started by Isaiah
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Isaiah

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I've been a lurker on this forums and I've found them both incredibly useful and uplifting. I'm currently 26, proudly wielding a liberal arts BA from 3 years prior (from a non-GPA institution at that). I'm actively considering taking what amounts to a significant gamble in beginning to jump through the med school hoops.

My question is - as I understand having research experience is a rather big plus, is there any way an unskilled laborer such as myself could get a chance at any kind of role in a lab or research project? If so, what would be the best way of going about it? I'm not currently affiliated with any university.

Thankyou kindly.
 
do a post bacc. and find yourself a student-worker lab-tech job at your post bacc. institution. volunteer if you have to.
 
thanks lumanyika. You're right that's totally logical. I wouldn't be starting the postbacc until the summer, probably little chance of finding anything before then right?
 
I started out with no lab experience, had a rough time getting a lab tech job initially. (wasn't a student, had been out of school for 2years in a completely different field)

I ended up volunteering for a while, started off doing data entry, then moved to a little more hands on stuff like pulling and aliquoting dna. Didn't really have to do much washing, autoclaving, etc since we our building had a guy who did all that (funny enough, since I started getting paid, we moved to a new building without a washroom guy so now I have to do my own).