Advice on Research Opportunity

Started by RoRy7979
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RoRy7979

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently found out I have been invited to do research at Mayo Clinic this upcoming summer as part of the Undergraduate Research Experience Program. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of the program before or has any idea if it is something that is worth pursuing.
 
You're asking a fairly biased crowd... Personally I am doing a similar program at UCLA this summer and I'm wicked excited. But I love research and plan on it being the majority of my future career.

A more personalized answer would be does this align with your career goals? Are you considering an MD/PhD or want to make research a big part of your career? Do you have other more important ECs like clinical experience, volunteering, etc out of the way already? Is it paid or volunteer?
 
You're asking a fairly biased crowd... Personally I am doing a similar program at UCLA this summer and I'm wicked excited. But I love research and plan on it being the majority of my future career.

A more personalized answer would be does this align with your career goals? Are you considering an MD/PhD or want to make research a big part of your career? Do you have other more important ECs like clinical experience, volunteering, etc out of the way already? Is it paid or volunteer?
My career goals are to become an emergency physician and transition later into a role in biotech venture capital. I want to use this opportunity as a way to beef up my research experience as I already have a fair amount of hours in volunteering, shadowing, etc. It will be a paid position.