Advice on retaking a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a 4 year school and last semester, I did not do well in my chemistry class. I got a D in the lecture and a C- in the lab. I am planning on retaking it this summer. The only thing I'm wondering is should I retake it at a CC or my school? I've heard it is better to retake it at your school and not a CC but at my school the summer class is an accelerated one that will meet everyday for 2 hours and 3x a week for lab. At the CC it is MWF for 4 hours, including the lab. I just think that the CC route is better because it will be cheaper and I could see myself doing better there. Plus, an A is an A right?

Second question: How bad would 2 retakes look? I might have to retake another class. I live in NYS if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed with what's stated above. No, an A is not an A anywhere, especially since it's a retake. I personally loved the accelerated versions of courses.. It helps you focus on that and nothing else. And since you're meeting almost every day of the week, you're constantly forced to learn and practice the material. But you should be prepared to dedicate a few hours per day to study the material, especially since you want to nail the class this time around. Take it at your home institution. Plus, some schools don't take CC credit -- why would you want to limit your options when application time comes?