NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2009
Ohio
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi everyone! I am applying in the fall (ah!!) and would love your advice on which schools to apply to. I'd rather not write all my stats here, but if you have a few minutes, I'd be happy to PM them to you. I have a first list of schools, but would appreciate some advice on narrowing/exchanging/adding. Thanks!

~NStarz

david594

The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Only apply to schools you would actually attend if they are the only one you were to be accepted to.

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
Best advice I can give is to do your research. Look at the average GPAs of students who were accepted. Look for special requirements-- minimum GPA for OOS students, etc. Go through the pre reqs with a fine tooth comb and make sure you meet them all!

Look for schools that take decent numbers of OOS students. Look at schools that let you establish residency if you're worried about cost.

Don't apply somewhere if you absolutely will not go there. It's not worth your time :)

Bear in mind the cost to apply to each school, and if they offer interviews, that's an added cost as well.

Excel will be your best friend throughout the application process. I had a HUGE spreadsheet of all the schools I applied to, their stats, requirements, etc. And it was a lifesaver. Really helped me keep myself organized. Honestly, I think the best move I made. Doing all the research into which schools I wanted to apply to really came in handy when writing essays such as "why do you want to go here" and things like that.

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
Cowgirla -

That is a pretty picture in your Avatar but your previous one was one of my favorites. I am going to miss it. :(

The lucky cricket served me well and will always have a special place in my heart. It might be back at some point, but had to have a picture of my pony up for a while...April 2006 I made the decision to retire him :(

Minnerbelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
Excel will be your best friend throughout the application process. I had a HUGE spreadsheet of all the schools I applied to, their stats, requirements, etc. And it was a lifesaver. Really helped me keep myself organized. Honestly, I think the best move I made. Doing all the research into which schools I wanted to apply to really came in handy when writing essays such as "why do you want to go here" and things like that.
First think about how many of the common pre-reqs you've already finished (intro bio, gen chem, orgo, physics, biochem, genetics) and see how many more you need to fit in before you graduate while keeping in mind how many more courses you feasibly can complete next year. Let's say you have 2 of those pre-reqs left to do, and you also have room for 2 extra courses in your schedule for next year... flip through the vmsar and see which schools you can apply to based on the number of extra pre-reqs they require. That should cut out a bunch for ya! Then narrow it down from there based on what cowgirla suggested.

variegata

7+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2009
Status
Veterinarian
I narrowed things down in a couple ways...

1) Which schools have I already completed the prerequisites for without taking additional classes?

2) Geographically, which schools/areas of the country do I definitely NOT see myself living in?

And then, not as a make-or-break thing, but just to cut the list down a little more,
3) Which schools offer classes/clubs/programs related to exotics/zoo animals/wildlife?

I actually printed out that spreadsheet that VMCAS has on their website with the requirements for each school. I printed out like 3 copies of it, and crossed out or highlighted/color coded the schools according to the above criteria and others.

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
I narrowed things down in a couple ways...

1) Which schools have I already completed the prerequisites for without taking additional classes?

2) Geographically, which schools/areas of the country do I definitely NOT see myself living in?

And then, not as a make-or-break thing, but just to cut the list down a little more,
3) Which schools offer classes/clubs/programs related to exotics/zoo animals/wildlife?
Based on observation, I would add 4) school I am ok paying the tuition for as I stand now (IE OOS all 4 years since OOS to IS allowance my change.) and 5) schools I am willing to attend, all costs, challenges, issues included, without question if it is my only acceptance.