Advice on selecting schools (CO resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Norzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I needed some second opinions on schools to apply to.

My background: I'm a CO resident, with a BA in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, and a Pharm D. My undergrad cGPA is about 3.69 and I think my sGPA is pretty close to that. I went through the University of Colorado system for both my BA and Pharm D. I have pretty good EC's, not super amazing, but I've done my share of physician shadowing and community volunteering. My MCAT score was 32N.

So far I've picked:
University of CO
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Oregon Health & Science University
University of Nebraska
University of Iowa Carver
University of MN Twin Cities
University of AL Birmingham
University of Miami
University of Rochester

And Mayo Clinic as a reach school.

I'm interested in primary care and possibly academics. I'm not interested in DO schools.

I would appreciate any advice/assessment on the list of schools I have compiled, as well as suggestions for other schools that I should consider. Since my state has only one allopathic school that's also pretty competitive, I don't really have any safety schools!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Have you taken your MCAT? If yes, what is your score?
2) Is there a specific area you would like to be in?

My background: I'm a CO resident, with a BA in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, and a Pharm D. My undergrad cGPA is about 3.69 and I think my sGPA is pretty close to that. I went through the University of Colorado system for both my BA and Pharm D. I have pretty good EC's, not super amazing, but I've done my share of physician shadowing and community volunteering. My MCAT score was 32N.

So far I've picked:
University of CO
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Oregon Health & Science University
University of Nebraska
University of Iowa Carver
University of MN Twin Cities
University of AL Birmingham
University of Miami
University of Rochester

And Mayo Clinic as a reach school.

Can I ask why you're applying to so few private schools? I don't mean to toot my own horn, and you certainly don't need to copy the list on my mdapps, but take a look at it for a moment. There are a lot of schools that are definitely worth applying to with your statistics, especially since you don't have "no safeties".

Off the top of my head, Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, Albany, and many more.

Some of the schools you mentioned put non-state residents at a disadvantage. With your stats, for example, it's unlikely your application will even get a second glance at a place like UNC Chapel Hill since it's a top school. You know, unless you have some compelling connection to North Carolina. I'm not sure about the other public schools on your list save University of Rochester which is private, so it's definitely a viable option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moving to "What are my chances?" and marking as "MD"

I echo tantacles thoughts. You should add in more private schools. You have mostly public schools on your list and your stats are either at their average or slightly below their average. For OOSers, these schools will be looking for students with numbers above their average. Your schools have like 85% IS matriculants too which is borderline too low to be expecting much.

North Carolina's average MCAT may be around a 32-33, but for out of state students, it is closer to 35-36. Also, think about Creighton, Cincinnati, Ohio State, and Albert Einstein.

Thanks all for your feedback!

Tantacles, I really didn't intend to not apply to private schools - I just kinda didn't know how to pick schools so thanks for the tips!

I'm going to cross off North Carolina as I agree with everyone's assessment with it being a little out of reach for me. Any other state schools I should shave off? I did visit every state school's website but please let me know if I've picked any others that would be pointless to apply to.

I'm planning to add Wake Forest, Creighton, VA Commonwealth and possibly Temple to my list.

Also, what does everyone think about the number of schools to apply to? I've read that 10-15 is desirable, and that there are schools that flag students that applied for greater than that. I've also seen folks here post that they are applying to 25 to 30 schools! That's seems like A LOT to me but I'd really like to get an acceptance this first time around. Any thoughts?

I really appreciate the feedback! Please keep it coming!

Last edited:
OK, so here is my revamped list after reading everyone's suggestions so far:

Keck
U of Colorado (state school)
University of Miami
Iowa Carver
Mayo (still my only reach school)
Creighton
U of Nebraska
Albany
U of Rochester
NY Med College
Wake Forest (should considering dropping? ~6,000 OOS apps/yr)
U of Cincinnati
U of Toledo
Penn State
U of Vermont
EVMS
VA Commonwealth
Med College of WI

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

OK, so here is my revamped list after reading everyone's suggestions so far:

Keck
U of Colorado (state school)
University of Miami
Iowa Carver
Mayo (still my only reach school)
Creighton
U of Nebraska
Albany
U of Rochester
NY Med College
Wake Forest (should considering dropping? ~6,000 OOS apps/yr)
U of Cincinnati
U of Toledo
Penn State
U of Vermont
EVMS
VA Commonwealth
Med College of WI

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Loos better.

For the record, I don't THINK schools can see what other schools you have applied to, or even how many. They can definitely see what schools you've been accepted to at some point in the process, though.

And as far as flagging based on number of schools, even if they CAN do that, note that I applied to over 30 schools and received 6 interviews. Unlikely that I'm being discriminated against for applying broadly, no?

So here's my finalized list after much deliberation:

U of CO
Miami Miller
Iowa Carver
U of KS
U of Louisville KY
Tulane
St Louis U MO
Creighton
U of NE
Rochester
U of Toledo
Wright State
EVMS
VCU
MCWisconsin

I only have 6 private schools on the list - is it a poor strategy to have more state schools on my list with stats like mine?

Are there any schools on my list that would be a waste of time to apply to?

Any other school suggestions? (I really would like to stay away from the East Coast/New England since the winters there kill me.)

Thanks for any input!