Advice on sending out cold e-mails for shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLPvsAUD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I know classes have just started or are soon to be starting for most of you reading this, but if you have a few minutes to spare I'd really appreciate your advice.

I graduated this past spring and decided to take the year off before heading to grad school to tackle my AuD and in the mean time I really want to get some experience under my belt through shadowing. However, I really don't have any connection in the field so I was thinking about sending out cold emails to audiologist and ENT offices in my area. (which happens to be a very large city). I'm just not sure what information I should include with the message I send. I have a job resume I could include (if that's even necessary to include), but should I also include information such as a list of relevant undergraduate course work and so on?

I'm tired of wasting time that could much better be spent shadowing just because I'm stuck up on what I should actually send along with the request in the first place :eek:

So if anyone reading this has some advice on what I should include or advice on how you may have handled a similar situation, I'd be so thankful for your help.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if you could write your cover letter in such a way as to make it clear that you could be useful to the practice. Like maybe you could offer to help with filing, tidying up the office, sorting hearing aid spare parts, taking inventory of parts, etc. Of course mention that you would also like to shadow, but don't be surprised if you get turned down because some potential mentors may just not have time to deal with an extra person, or may have patient confidentiality concerns. Others may have formal mentorship programs in place but restrict them to enrolled AuD students. Don't take it too hard if you get turned down. But in your letter, do tell them how you can help them, rather than just focusing on what you hope to get out of the experience.

Hey SLPvsAUD!

In my experience, it's typically been enough to introduce myself, give a little background, and then explain that I'm interested in pursuing audiology but trying to learn more about the field. I've never had to give much more than that to secure a day or two of shadowing.

Of course, there are always people who won't email/call you back, but more often than not I've gotten positive responses. Audiologists tend to be very pleasant people, in my experience, haha!

Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's better to call or stop by. E-mail is very impersonal.

Call and voice your interests and reasons for shadowing. Then set up a time to go in and talk/meet the person and take a resume/cover letter.

It may be hard to get email addresses to some audiologists and ENTs. But, stop by the office and ask. Last spring, I got a random email from a student in Ohio who was looking for a summer placement to earn some clinical hours. My practice is on the East Coast. I have my CCC-A, so after I signed forms with the University I was approved to offer her hours during the summer. It was a great experience for all concerned.

My advice is to call. You will not get a lot of responses by email. Also shadowing is not really a big deal (unless it's in a hospital - there may be procedural red tape), so I really wouldn't be shy about asking.