advice on sgu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akim0414

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of you in SGU or have graduated from:
after graduation i would like to match/do my residency in southern california (i am leaning toward pediatrics). i have heard that coming from a foreign medical school it is hard to march, especially in california. any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

It is definetely possible to get a peds residency in California if you go to SGU. Just click on this link to check out the residencies SGU grads have attained in the last 8 years: http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/home/GraduateStudentSuccess.htm

You will see california listed under the peds match heading. Having said that, california is more stringent when it comes to licensing so you do have to attain a little more documentation but since peds is not highly competitive to get, you shouldn't have a problem as long as you do well. Hope that helps.

IMbound

thanks for the info but can you elaborate on the "documentation" you talked about?

akim0414 said:
thanks for the info but can you elaborate on the "documentation" you talked about?

You need to get a "california letter". For this you need to get an extra document signed for every rotation in 3rd and 4th year that you will complete. Also you will have to complete a family practice rotation. That is really all you have to do.