Advice on SMP Completion/Certificate Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeyonceFan1226

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I graduated from Maryland with a 2.8 science and a 3.1 cumulative GPA. My DAT score was a 19 but I plan on re-taking it this year in order to remedy my math section (16) and orgo section (17).

I am currently enrolled in a 9 month certificate program at George Mason University where I am taking graduate level courses (Biochem, Histology, Anatomy, Biostat, Human Physiology). After the program ends in May, I have the option of completing 10 extra credits at Georgetown University during the summer and will receive a Master's in Physiology from Georgetown University by the end of summer 2015. I plan on submitting my application next cycle .

My question is that the certificate program already came at a hefty price. The ten extra credits at Georgetown University is an additional $17,000 and I was wondering if it was necessary to complete that portion or would the certificate be enough?

Finally, if I do decide to complete the Master's portion, I have the option of completing the ten credits during the summer of 2015 OR finishing it during next fall/spring. The benefit of spreading it out is that I could use my summer months to study and retake my DAT. Does it make a difference as far as applying with my Masters "in hand" by the end of next summer or is simply stating that I intend to complete the Master's portion (with my grades from the certificate program already submitted) enough?

Sorry for the long post but I've been thinking about this for a while and would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.