Advice on SMP/ Post bacc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silentobserver10114

Reaction score
Hi all just wanted to get some advice on SMP and post bacc programs. I finished my undergrad a few years ago and have completed the pre med prereqs with a 2.5 GPA and MCAT of 492. I had some personal and family issues and was not 100% focused on my studies and had to retake a few sciences. I am looking to change tracks and shoot for Dentistry, Optometry, or Pharmacy. Are there any SMP's or post bacc programs that could help me get into these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all just wanted to get some advice on SMP and post bacc programs. I finished my undergrad a few years ago and have completed the pre med prereqs with a 2.5 GPA and MCAT of 492. I had some personal and family issues and was not 100% focused on my studies and had to retake a few sciences. I am looking to change tracks and shoot for Dentistry, Optometry, or Pharmacy. Are there any SMP's or post bacc programs that could help me get into these programs?
I am in the Temple postbacc program and we have premed, pre PA, and pre dental student tracks with a variety of end goals in each track.

Do you have any insight about the program? I'd love to know more!
Yeah, absolutely. So because you have done your pre-med classes already, you would likely be looking at their advanced core program or ACHS. There is a basic core path for career changers who haven't done the sciences before that runs May-end of April but the ACHS track starts in August and goes through the end of April. All of the post-bacc courses are post-bacc specific so there are no undergrads in your classes and they focus specifically on what you will need for whatever standardized test you will be taking and what you need to know for professional school admissions. Exam prep is built into all the curriculums whether that is MCAT. DAT, GRE, etc. I don't know any current pre-pharm or optometry students but Temple does have a pre-pharm linkage in addition to linkage options for pre-PA and pre-med students. They do have pretty specific requirements so may or may not be an option but I know the leadership staff of the program would be happy to help if you have more specific questions I cannot answer about some of those details. Feel free to comment here or message me for any other questions or information!