Medical Advice on SMP's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping to pick your brain about what you think about my application to special masters programs. My stats are thus: cGPA 2.97 and MCAT 522 (130,130,130,132). My EC's are: 6 months as a part time research lab assistant (400 hours), author of 1 article in an undergraduate neuroscience journal at my uni, 100 hours shadowing, recently started working as a medical scribe (200 hours so far).

The programs i'm applying to are: BU, Georgetown, Temple, Tufts, EVMS, Case Western, Brown, Rutgers.

My main concern is that my sub 3.0 GPA will raise some flags during the process, however I have shown great improvement recently, achieving excellent grades in the past year. I am hoping my high MCAT will make up for my low GPA, but I am still worried. I have stressed my academic growth and reflection towards the medical profession through my personal statement and letters of recommendations. My question is: do you think the programs i'm applying to will be willing to overlook my low GPA, or should I apply to some safety schools who would be more willing to accept me? Any comments would be appreciated.
The whole point of the SMP is to erase the UG GPA.

It's your responsibility to check with each program to determine if your GPA is too low (which I doubt). There are plenty out there that will take you, including mine.

Members don't see this ad.

It's amazing to me that you scored so well on the MCAT with such a low GPA, so congrats on that!

You gotta do the research here. Look into which programs will accept you and go with the cheapest one.

Recommend SMP first before applying because your GPA is a redflag. With this you will have time to stick with a few limited EC's to show longitudinal commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that my undergrad GPA is very low, but should I have an excellent (>3.8) grad GPA do you believe med schools will overlook it and recognize a positive trend?
If you can “reinvent” yourself and have a stellar post-bac/SMP, Adcom will see that and recognize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.