Advice on starting practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRS Man

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's change things up a bit. I am completing my plastics residency in June. Any new or old attendings have any advice, words of wisdom, or war stories they might find interesting, educational, or just plain comical? Any thoughts on joining a practice vs solo, going uncovered from a malpractice point of view, ways to jumpstart business, advertising strategies proved effective, ect...

Members don't see this ad.

My first decision was to choose between Academic/Private or some combination. Once I realized what I wanted, the flexibility of private practice, and trading some of that and income for the additional benefit of being academic, that narrowed the field. I loved where I did my training and wanted to return. I did a fellowship to provide some additional depth to my training and knowledge base as not to become too 'inbred.' I started a private practice at an academic institution (my old one) with the invitation/blessing of the department. I work with residents and care for both private and clinic patients. Granted, there is some lost in revenue but the benefits outweigh the cost. I like to teach and also control my life. I started instantly busy and work with a great group of attendings that refer to me. Having said all of this, startup of a private practice costs some money. As I am a bit of a geek, we went with all electronic charting and patient management (EMR/PM systems). You only want to do this once. and the start up cost and time is high. I cannot imagine attempting to move a paper system over to a electronic system. Serversx2, tablet, desktops x4, networking systems with connections to the office fluro machine, fax server etc. too time and money to set up. Additionally, just because you are electronic does not mean the rest of the carriers are. Many still require paper submissions so you must have a way to do that. Work related injuries will often require not just the bill but all notes, as in this situation they arrive at different times (notes from office, bill from clearinghouse or electronic) then close followup is needed. My billing staff work in the office, I do not know how this would work if you contract that work out. Anyway, thats about all I got to ramble about now!

I agree with the previous post. The first step is to decide private practice vs. academics vs. combination of the two. Sounds like PRS man has a combination.

I initially wanted to do academics and I still do. The only problem is that my wife will not tolerate living >3 hours away from family any more. That left me one choice of a university. Last year the university was hiring and hired someone from my program director's former program. I sent a resume and asked if they were hiring this year, the answer was no. So that decision was made for me.

I am in the process of setting up a solo private practice in Des Moines, IA. Things are coming along nicely, but as PRS man said, it is expensive. My portion of the buildout cost on my office will probably come in around 80K. Add to that all of the other stuff he talked about with the emr etc. EMR is going to be so cost prohibitive that I am going to have to use paper charting until my practice is up and running. By up and running I mean that the practice has a monthly income able to support the overhead costs and pay me a salary of 96K a year . Yeah I said it - I'm going to pay myself less than 100K a year until my practice is immensely profitable and I have it set up the way it needs to be. It is just the economics of private practice. You start out making sacrifices so that you can have things your own way. I figure if I don't get used to a lot of lifestyle I can work much less and live a better life. Eventually I'll end up WAY WAY WAY ahead of where I would have been if I'd joined a practice and had to pay for someone else's huge plush office. Plus, whatever practice I build is mine.

I would advise you to use extreme caution before joining someone in practice. Plastic surgeons are notorious for ripping off their junior partners to be, even in a small midwestern town like Des Moines. 90% of these partnerships end like a bad divorce. Whats worse is that you would probably also have to sign a no compete clause and when it all blows up you'll have to move and start over from scratch.

A word on sharing office space - unless you have large assets - meaning you own a house or another business - a bank is not likely to give you a loan to pay rent to another physician. I tried that and it was a no go. Bank of America will give me an unsecured loan to start my own practice but not to share office space with another PRS doc. They reason that if I own the equipment etc in the office they can at least liquidate the equipment if I go belly up. The loan officer said that 99.6% of their physician practice loans end up resulting in a practice able to pay off the loan.

Things that you should have done already
1) State medical license in the state you're moving to
2) Office space scoped out or a contract to join a practice.
3) Medicare packets filled out and ready to send in on July 1
4) Insurance packets filled out and ready to send in on July 1
5) Malpractice insurance priced. You will have to wait until April 4th to actually fill out the application because it has to be within 90 days of start date.
6) Privileges packets filled out and sent in to various hospitals
7) Business plan made if you are starting your own practice
8) Incorporation papers filed and tax ID number in hand if you are starting your own practice
9) Put together a spread sheet with all of the CPT codes you are likely to use, the number of RVU's per code, the medicare reimbursement rate. This makes it easy to set your fee schedule. You will need to set a fee schedule before starting practice and likely your loan agent will require this before giving you any corn. I just took the number of RVU's for each procedure and multiplied it by $90 - 2.5 times medicare. Most people are telling me it is on the very low end but I figured I would set it low and have it be effective until the end of 08. Call it a fire sale if you will. You also need to set your cosmetic rates, which I did in essentially the same manner but I tweaked some of the prices based on what people in the area are charging. Again I am on the low end at least for the rest of 08. The other thing the spread sheet is useful for is that you can get the reimbursement schedule from the various insurance plans you are signing up for. Just put the dollar amount for each procedure in and you can compare it to medicare rates and figure out how much per RVU each insurance company reimburses. They really really really don't want you to do that because then you can tell with the click of a mouse which plans are worth joining and which aren't. Also after a couple years in practice you will know which plans to drop if you have a good accountant.

That should get you started. I suppose I'll post more as I get further along in the process. Maybe I'll put together a guide at some point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate the insight GS. I will definitely keep these things in mind. Good luck in the real world.

Wow, that's excellent advice! GS, if you have any more info I'm sure all surgery residents soon to be out in the real world would really appreciate it. Reading all that just reminds me how little I know about the business side of plastic surgery.

Tons going on in my world. To make a very long story short, Bank of America cratered this week, losing 6B dollars and profits down 77% so far this year. All of that and impending doom from the subprime mortgage mess = no loan for me unless I want to pay a 20% interest rate. I could apply with another bank but at this point it would set back my start date by several months.

I decided instead to start out of my father's office (he does bariatrics) for a year or so until I can get my feet under me and finance the practice on my own. Its going to be a real life Doc Hollywood story. I haven't lived in a town under 1 million people in over 11 years and I'm moving literally to the middle of nowhere. Probably won't be much cosmetic for me there but I'll have pretty much the entire western 1/3 of Iowa as a referral base for reconstructive. Plus my family has been in the area for about 100 years. I'll see how it goes. If they drive me nuts I'll just stay for a year and set my practice up in Des Moines in '09. More later. I am sure there will be much hilarity.

Where are you going, Sioux City?

Good luck. I hadn't thought about the financial crisis hurting things like that. Good for you to have a practice that you can stage out of for a while.

Keep us updated.

East of Sioux City on highway 20 a ways. Fort Dodge.

Where are you going, Sioux City?

Good luck. I hadn't thought about the financial crisis hurting things like that. Good for you to have a practice that you can stage out of for a while.

Keep us updated.

I have everything ready to go. My primary practice location will be Fort Dodge with satellite locations in 4 surrounding communities. I was recently at a meeting with the hospital board and they seemed to really like the idea of me establishing an extended referral base. More later.

Just a little tidbit on my living arrangements. I couldn't find a house to rent in FD. I had to rent about 18 miles north in Humboldt, a town of 4500. The last time I lived in a town of <1 million was 11 years ago. Ouch.

I checked into what a Country Club Membership would be in Humboldt. I grew up golfing the course with my grandfather and eating fried egg and pickalilly sandwiches at his cottage on the 5th hole. There is no gofer living in the fairways where I didn't know and curse his ancient relatives. I literally know every blade of grass on this course and I love it. The first year is going to be a little more expensive and will have an initiation fee. The price...

wait for it...

wait for it ...

$450. You read it right. It is less crowded with the same amenities as a course like Valhalla and it costs $450 for the first year and less thereafter. As weird as it is going to be living in a small town for a while, it has its benefits.