USMLE Advice on Step 1 NBMEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Be water my friend

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! It's been 2.5 years since I passed step1 but right now my wife is studying for it :) So I looked through different forums and read many exam experiences but haven't found any conclusive info. I need help with NBMEs guys!
-Nowadays, which NBMEs are must-do?
-Which ones are OK to do, or beneficial in some way (subjects covered or good score prediction, etc.)?
TIA and good luck with your studies!

Members don't see this ad.

They’ve got all these new ones now that just came out this year so it’s pretty tough to say. If time and money aren’t an issue, I’d say go ahead and take all of them. They really destroyed my self esteem and weren’t at all reflective of my exam. I got a lot more out of the uwsa tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the insight Ho0v-man! By "all of them" do you mean all the new ones from 13th or any other specific number? Or you just meant like all from the beginning? (I think they start to contain repeating questions after a certain time)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the insight Ho0v-man! By "all of them" do you mean all the new ones from 13th or any other specific number? Or you just meant like all from the beginning? (I think they start to contain repeating questions after a certain time)
Just all the ones available on the site. I did nbme 18 and got the most out of that just bc it’s old enough to find the answers to so you get more out of reviewing it and it doesn’t take as long. It was the only old one left back in June when I took it and I’m not sure if it’s still available. I got less out of the newer ones bc finding answers/explanations took forever. But I also didn’t have a physician spouse to help me review so that might be an advantage :)

If your wife does well on them that’s super awesome. But if she struggles it means almost nothing. The nbmes underpredicted me by 20+ points so don’t let her get too hung up on a low score on these beasts. Uwsa2 was almost spot on for me and there’s a reddit predictor out there that’s also fairly accurate.

Edit: it’s more important to nail down uworld really well and even repeat weak areas in uworld then finish all the nbme exams if time/burnout becomes an issue. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users