Advice on step 2 drop from step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santicaz

Reaction score
I just got my step 2 score (247) which is a drop, both percentile-wise and number-wise, from my step 1 score (250). I'm pretty disappointed because my UWSA's were both in the mid-260s and I had hopes of being competitive for academic programs in the Northeast. I'm interested in Internal Medicine and want to do a fellowship.

I understand that my step 2 score doesn't help me but what I'm wondering is how badly it affect my application and whether the doors to the programs I was interested in have been closed?

I have a few manuscripts in progress in medical school. Decent amount of volunteering and work experiences.

I appreciate any input/thoughts. Thanks again, everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a couple points higher on Step 1 and a couple points lower on step 2, was wondering the same thing! (I'm applying into a field that doesn't seem to place much weight on step 2? But things are shifting now so I'm not sure).

Doesn't matter, your numbers are sufficiently high that they are competitive for academic IM. You didn't help yourself with the step 2 score, but it's not like the bottom fell out.