Advice on undergrad EC's please..

Baylor91Bound

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new here, so if a similar question has already been posted, please forgive me.

This fall I will be attending Baylor as a freshman, and I'm seeking advice on what I should accomplish throughout my 4 years to better my chances of getting into med school. Aside from great grades, what will I need to have under my belt?

I'll be consulting with advisors, of course, but I'd still like to hear from current undergrads and med students alike.

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you like to do. Join interesting student organizations, do research, volunteer, shadow. With the exception of the clinical experience, don't feel like you HAVE to do something. Because if you don't like it, chances are you won't get anything out of it. Just get involved with fun and interesting things. :D

I hear research a lot. what exactly does that mean? ha I mean I understand the literal definition of the word, but how would I go about documenting that i've studied up on my sciences on my own?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear research a lot. what exactly does that mean? ha I mean I understand the literal definition of the word, but how would I go about documenting that i've studied up on my sciences on my own?

By research, we mean working in a lab (for the sciences) or do some other research project (another major) with a faculty member. I'm sure Baylor has a program where you can find a professor to work with.

By research, we mean working in a lab (for the sciences) or do some other research project (another major) with a faculty member. I'm sure Baylor has a program where you can find a professor to work with.

just wanna point out that you dont need to do resaerch in a lab, or even in the hard sciences. Dont make the mistake of thinking the only impressive research is that in a chemistry lab, especially if you do not enjoy doing chemisry stuff....you know? Find your passion and go with it.

just wanna point out that you dont need to do resaerch in a lab, or even in the hard sciences. Dont make the mistake of thinking the only impressive research is that in a chemistry lab, especially if you do not enjoy doing chemisry stuff....you know? Find your passion and go with it.

Def. a great point. I do math research. No labs involved at all. Just a lot of calculations.

Not all labs are chemistry labs. :) I think most places that conduct research are called "labs." It could be a molecular genetics lab, biochem lab, medical lab, etc. So, in short, research involves doing some sort of "research" with a faculty member on a specific subject, not just studying already known facts on the internet, books, etc.

alright. thank you guys. so I'm sure once I get to the university, I'll easily be able to find some research work?

Not all labs are chemistry labs. :) I think most places that conduct research are called "labs." It could be a molecular genetics lab, biochem lab, medical lab, etc. So, in short, research involves doing some sort of "research" with a faculty member on a specific subject, not just studying already known facts on the internet, books, etc.

wait what!?!?!? :confused::eek::confused: You mean that people do research in fields other than chemistry?!?!? And they work in labs!?!? I dont believe it.

(i was using chemistry as an example, it wasnt all inclusive)

alright. thank you guys. so I'm sure once I get to the university, I'll easily be able to find some research work?

i mean its not necessarily going to be easy, but if you put in the time and effort, there will always be opportunities.

Welcome to SDN :)

Research, volunteer time (especially long term), and clinical experience (EMT, CCNA, etc.) are all great. I'm currently in my freshman year and working towards a certification as EMT. Like said before do something you love. You don't want to be miserable these 4 years, that's what med school and residency are for :p.

Best of luck Luck.

wait what!?!?!? :confused::eek::confused: You mean that people do research in fields other than chemistry?!?!? And they work in labs!?!? I dont believe it.

(i was using chemistry as an example, it wasnt all inclusive)

Ahh, I reread your post and I think I misunderstood it. It makes sense now! :)

Something you enjoy. Forget doing stuff that looks like your determined to go to med school, unless its something you enjoy at the moment. You should not be limited to it though.

I mean i did hospital volunteering in highschool (it was actually a requirement of the program i was in to graduate), but i did A LOT of community service. The best thing IMO, is to join student government or something, and try to take initiatives to improve your school.

Med schools like to see research, it is a favorable EC. I actually didn't even know that Math labs existed. I have been in hospital labs before (two actually), and they do waaaaay more then just chemistry. Genetics lab sounds like an interesting thing to put on a resume and actually take part in. Do what you like. I, personally, wouldn't join a club or organization unless I was actually going to do something big. When I go to uni I'll prob join student govt. and some volunteer team. You know you can also create your own group at your uni. Just saying. I would stick with research though.

Med schools like to see research, it is a favorable EC. I actually didn't even know that Math labs existed. I have been in hospital labs before (two actually), and they do waaaaay more then just chemistry. Genetics lab sounds like an interesting thing to put on a resume and actually take part in. Do what you like. I, personally, wouldn't join a club or organization unless I was actually going to do something big. When I go to uni I'll prob join student govt. and some volunteer team. You know you can also create your own group at your uni. Just saying. I would stick with research though.

I don't exactly agree here. Just because you want to go to medical school doesn't mean that everything has to be about being spectacular. Join clubs because you think they are interesting and fun. DO NOT join SG just because you want to impress people with that EC. You'll probably end up hating it. Also, the big things tend to just fall in your lap. I did not join a single organization to be important or acheive something big, yet now I find myself as the VP of the 2nd largest student org on my campus of 50000+ people. And the director of a major department at LSU, basically just told me that he'll give us $100,000 to do whatever we want with (as long as its beneficial for the on-campus residents, of course).

All in all, if you love research, do research. If you love being involved, get involved in different orgs. There are sooooo many different kinds. Just please please please be happy with what you are doing. College is the time to have fun!!!