Advice on Veterinary Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicole98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just graduated with my bachelor's but have a few more pre-reqs to go so I am taking courses this summer and part time in the fall. I have been trying for months to get a job or even just a shadowing opportunity with a veterinarian, but the processes has not been going well. I was initially offered a job at one place, but then the company basically ghosted me so I went back to the job application sites and applied for more jobs but was not offered any. I have a small amount of experience from shadowing a vet in Asheville, NC before my family moved to Charlotte last year, but I no longer have the same sort of connections being in a brand new city. I have already tried sending my resume out to local vet clinics and I will continue to look for part time vet assistant positions online, but 90% of the job listings require experience. So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has advice on how to start out with getting experience when all the jobs seem to require prior experience in the field.

Members don't see this ad.

So it’s really hard to find a job without prior experience but I have found it can be much easier to start out as a kennel attendant and then transfer into a vet assistant. You can apply to be a kennel attendant in a hospital and then make it clear you want to get some shadowing in or to transfer over. I started working at petsmart as a hotel associate and then got experience as a vet receptionist and this experience I think helped me get a job as an actual vet assistant. It’s very difficult to go right into a vet assistant without any kind of animal experience . You should still apply to places even is they say experience is required because you never know plus the vet industry is crazy right now so you might get lucky.

It just sucks in general starting without experience but once you find the one place that hires you your set. Just keep applying and trudging through job applications and you will get there eventually. Just don’t give up.

Also maybe write a good cover letter and if you get denied after applying offer to even just shadow I had one place that interviewed me and they liked me but my experience wasn’t what they wanted but when I told them I was interested in shadowing if they were willing and they offered to let me but I ended up getting hired elsewhere so I didn’t.

Reactions: 1 user
At least in my area, hospital are begging for new hires on the TA/tech/reception level. We don't really care about experience right now. So it may be worthwhile to check the corporate websites and apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't depend on job ads online. Tons of clinics need bodies right now. Check clinic websites, cold submit your resume to ones that don't have postings, submit your resume even to ones who ask for experience (it ain't gonna hurt) and I'd bet you get a bite with even just shadowing experience. There are tooooons of vet clinics around Charlotte.

Also, if it's been several months since you initially submitted to local ones, try again. My clinic is more desperate nowadays, I'm sure that's not just us lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for your help! I am still trying to apply to wherever I can but I feel like I'm running out of options that have a reasonable commute (due to the area of Charlotte I live in). I am still taking classes so I can only work part time which seems to limit my search even more, and some jobs have an experience requirement rather than preference the prevents me from submitting my application. Additionally, I discovered one listing that said people with no experience could apply if they want but they are not able to hire them due to lack of staff available to train them and am wondering if that is the case as most of the places I have applied to. Do any of you have thoughts on online vet assistant certification programs? I have already been trying to get a job for two months, and because I won't be able to work anywhere full time until January anyways, could theoretically complete the self-paced course in 7 months. I just wanted to hear other people's opinions if it's worth it or a waste of time. Thanks again.

Do any of you have thoughts on online vet assistant certification programs?
A waste of time and money because vet assistants don't need a certification. They essentially mean nothing.

Reactions: 5 users
What I did was call about 20 places and said “hi my name is … are you guys accepting student shadows”? Only two places really replied. One of them just wasn’t the right fit for me and the other one I volunteered with for the summer and then started working there as a assistant. I’ve been working there for two years now. I highly suggest doing this because it’s hard for them to hire someone with no experience but they’re more willing to accept someone as a student shadow. Once you are one you really have to show that you have good work ethic and that they should keep you around.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with Trilt regarding jobs.

Regarding shadowing, be a bit tactful about how you word it - rather than asking if they are accepting shadowers, ask if you can shadow for one day.

Taking someone for one day is less of a commitment. If you don't like them or they don't like you - no harm, no foul. On the other hand (and it's a subtle difference) asking if they are taking shadowers makes it sound a little more like you want a regular thing from the outset, which is a turn-off. I'd definitely say no to that question whereas I might (if my practice allowed shadowing, which we do not) accept someone for a one day, or half a day, thing. Yanno?

If they single day goes well, easy enough to ask at the end if you can come back.

Reactions: 1 users