Advice over undergraduate transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Follower12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am currently an undergraduate freshman at Rutgers University and am debating on whether i should transfer to Drexel University.

Pros:

• Drexel will allow me to graduate with up to 18 months of work experience (hopefully in biology field however not guaranteed)
  • Drexel (being in Philadelphia) is near many hospitals so i have great opportunities for volunteering
  • I enjoy the environment/city life much more than the environment of Rutgers (i feel Rutgers is just way to big)
  • More time for volunteering/research
  • If med school doesn't work out i will have an easier time finding a job because of the work experience i will have
Cons:

• I graduate a year later (5 years for my undergraduate degree at Drexel if i want 18 months of work experience). This doesn't really bother me though
  • Overall, i will be paying at most $30,000 more at Drexel compared to Rutgers (however i have yet to receive my financial aid package so it could be less) --- money isnt really a problem in my family however i do realize med school is expensive and $30,000 dollars is a lot of money
Both:

• Have about the same % of applicants going into med school (around 57%)
  • Have excellent research opportunities for undergraduates
  • Have helpful premed advisers (I have been talking to the one at Drexel for some time and im not even officially enrolled)

Unsure:

• As part of the curriculum, Drexel makes biology majors take organic chemistry and physics together (could this hurt my GPA?)
  • Drexel runs on the quarter system (faster pace)
  • Rutgers requires me to minor in something (at Drexel probably wouldn't minor in something just because the schedule doesn't seem as flexible)
sample schedule or something they would want me to take at Drexel:
http://drexel.edu/biology/undergrad...y/CMGB Gen Track/CMGB 5yr Spr.Su COOP_Gen.pdf

coop = working - typically 9-5 job (i plan to also do research and volunteering during this time). I can also take 1 class for no additional charge during coop

Do you all think it is worth it? Drexel was my number one choice however i chose Rutgers simply because it was cheaper. I believe i could definitely say i would be happier at Drexel HOWEVER i will do anything that will give me a better chance at medical school.

Sorry if this got lengthy. I have been thinking about this for months and I want an outside perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally I'd say go with your top choice school. It's important to be happy with where you're going. Bear in mind, however, that it's rare for transfer students to get merit-based financial aid. So expect to shell out. Don't worry about taking orgo and physics at the same time. Long story short, DO IT.

Generally I'd say go with your top choice school. It's important to be happy with where you're going. Bear in mind, however, that it's rare for transfer students to get merit-based financial aid. So expect to shell out. Don't worry about taking orgo and physics at the same time. Long story short, DO IT.

Thanks for your reply!

As long as i keep above a 3.2 GPA (which i don't think i will have a problem doing, if anything im hoping to finish with atleast a 3.4/3.5 for my freshman year) they will give me $8,000 a year which is the same as what I got the first time i applied. If i raise my GPA i will be able to get at most $16,000 which would be pretty much offset the price between Rutgers and Drexel (i have no hope in getting any financial aid from Rutgers as it is my state's public school and im not in the position for need based aid). Im confident they will give me atleast $8,000 however they said i can appeal for greater aid and they will review and see if I deserve it (which I think they just do to make students feel better, i doubt anyone ever gets more than what they initially offer).

Im very curious as to why i should take orgo and physics together. Im sure it has been discussed numerous times on these forums so I'll give it a search

Members don't see this ad :)
I transferred after my sophomore year from a rural LAC to a big name research school in a city. I did it mostly to be happy (and I was much happier at my new school), but the extra research, opportunities and brand appeal probably helped me get into med school.

On the other hand, the extra year and expenses are an issue, especially if there's a chance you won't get into med school. And Drexel is kind of a lateral move academically, you'd be giving up a lot for a change of location and not a whole lot else. Speaking from experience, transferring is annoying and only worth it if you really can't stand where you are. That said, being happy is what life's about, and if you can't find it at Rutgers get out and never look back.