Advice Please: MD/MBA, Career examples, MS1 Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dirk__Diggler

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's a few different questions. Any advice helps. Thanks.

First off, is there resource that shows some career-paths that other MD/MBA's have taken. I'd like to look at the paths of people with similar interests to get some inspiration on where to begin.

Before I came to medical school, I worked in Business Development at an ACO. I really loved the work and have become fascinated in policy, cost-cutting, and the interface between healthcare and technology (EMR). I have a tentative offer to work for a large ACO this summer, is that something I should go for, or is research more important?

As far as MD/MBA...

A few weeks ago, my med school gave a presentation on its MD/MBA program. Unfortunately, my school's program is associated with a no-name business school. Is it worth waiting it out and applying to a better MBA program (maybe during/after residency)? Also, I was not a business major in college. Is it important to take some econ courses before applying?
 
I would like to ask an ancillary question to this topic for those MD's who have attained an MBA. I am an American but took a year off in undergrad to study abroad. I'm currently finishing up medical school. I've always wanted to return to that university and obtain an MBA. I had planned on doing so after residency. It's a one year program. My question, is it a bad idea to take a year off to do a full-time MBA program for one year after residency? I don't want my clinical skills to diminish but timeline-wise, I want to do that program before my life takes off with marriage/kids/etc. I know there is great MBA programs in the US but I just want to go back to my old university and study for a degree there. Can anyone offer me some seasoned advice? My main concern is coming back and being rusty at medicine and wishing I hadn't taken the time off.
Thanks in advance!