Advice please on competitiveness- (I know u get this q all the time)...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouseboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a MSIII and am interested in plastics-- but am torn on whether to do it based on competitiveness.

Here are my stats:
Step I 245
Third Year clerkship HP's-- on surgery right now and hoping for a Honors
Not AOA-- but in top 25% of class overall
1 Publication in Tissue Engineering
Undergrad Biomedical Engineering
Medical school - mid tier which does not have a plastics program but we do have a plastics department.

Do I have a realistic shot at getting interviews and ultimately matching? Also what could I do to enrich my application?

Thanks you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like you've got the stuff. Go for it. It is sad that they put so much emphasis on board scores since stacking 6 blocks a 2 years of age won't help you become a better plastic surgeon, but that is the reality. They need a way to weed people out. I think you'll get interviews with those scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
^
^^
^^^
^^^^
^^
^^
^^
^^
HATER
ALERT

who cares about a test about basic science medical knowledge! what could that possibly have to do with plastic surgery?

I agree it does not make you a good plastic surgeon but it is the reality. Programs know that they can get the best and need a way to weed people out. It's almost counterintuitive. The most creative people do not necessarily do the best on tests. There are programs that won't even consider you if you don't have above a 240 on step 1. So getting the question "at what age do you stack 6 blocks?" correct somehow shows them that you will be a good plastic surgeon.