Advice please? Psych major.

Started by krj0718
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

krj0718

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I am currently a psych major and am finishing up my BA after taking a break from school. I'll be graduating next December. I originally wanted to continue my education and become a school psychologist, but I feel like I would do better in psychiatry. My math and science background is weak. I just transferred to a new school to finish my degree, so I'm not sure of my GPA yet, but I'm an A/B student. I've been looking into post bacc pre-medical programs (mainly Bryn Mawr and Goucher), but I'm not sure if this is the best option. Is there a different way of doing this?
 
You are looking in the right places. I would suggest enrolling in a DIY or formal post bacc, banging out the requirements, and then taking the MCAT. Where you do your post bacc doesn't really matter, as long as you get good grades. I would recommend going the least costliest route. Programs like Bryn Mawr claim they have linkage cachet, so I would look into that. The cost of the program may in fact be worth it as long as you think you can pull the grades.