Advice Please! Pushing back OAT?

eyesplurgeonwarbys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been having some internal turmoil on what I should do, so I am hoping to get some advice from those who are in the same boat as me! I am scheduled to take my OAT in a week and a half and am panicking a bit! I don't feel confident enough yet, and although it shouldn't feel like it, I feel as though giving myself an additional 2 week would help. However, that would mean my apps would get pushed back as well (submitting at the end of September). Do you guys think it would be a good idea to push it back so I can feel more ready, even if it means getting my apps sent in later? It's hard to tell when "early" is anymore. Is end of September too late? I would really appreciate some input, thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You can submit your application without the OAT scores. Its getting it verified and sending in transcripts that takes the longest. OAT scores take about a week to process. And yes, I would push it back until you're comfortable because its expensive if you have to retake it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat as you except I'm not applying this cycle. I was wondering if for you, the latest date allowed for rescheduling is the second week of September. I tried selecting multiple testing centers but the latest date I'm allowed to select is 9/8. My original test date is 8/12

My exam was scheduled for August 22. I ended up rescheduling for September because I knew I wasn't going to be ready by then because of work and family obligations. If you can afford fee to reschedule, I would say go ahead and reschedule. You should definitely submit your application as soon as possible. Don't wait until September to submit. I have heard of some schools extending interviews before receiving OAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
My exam was scheduled for August 22. I ended up rescheduling for September because I knew I wasn't going to be ready by then because of work and family obligations. If you can afford fee to reschedule, I would say go ahead and reschedule. You should definitely submit your application as soon as possible. Don't wait until September to submit. I have heard of some schools extending interviews before receiving OAT scores.

Thanks for the advice! I guess the only problem about sending my apps in is that I haven't been working on it much :/. I was hoping to take my OAT and then work as hard as I can after to complete my applications. I was having trouble juggling apps and studying at the same time. I know it's not good, but I'm just not the type of person who is good at doing both at once!

I'm in the same boat as you except I'm not applying this cycle. I was wondering if for you, the latest date allowed for rescheduling is the second week of September. I tried selecting multiple testing centers but the latest date I'm allowed to select is 9/8. My original test date is 8/12
That's my test date right now, too! So you mean you were hoping to take it later than 9/8 but nothing was available?

That's my test date right now, too! So you mean you were hoping to take it later than 9/8 but nothing was available?

Yep. You should go on prometric to double check. I've been going on for the last 3 or 4 days and the latest available test I'm getting for like 5 different testing centers is all before 9/8. Kinda weird

I just took my OAT yesterday, and I was in your place like about 2 weeks ago.
Have you taken any of the sample test online or the Kaplan full length tests? Those tests can give you a general idea about whether you are ready for the real OAT. If you get below 300 for those tests, I'll suggest just postpone the test date and take it when you feel you are ready.

Don't freak out with your low practice scores. Go through the test spec and see how comfortable you have been with those keywords.

OP were you able to reschedule for a later date than 9/8? I'm still have trouble doing so; I'm thinking they may have some sort of time period limitation in place for rescheduling

OP were you able to reschedule for a later date than 9/8? I'm still have trouble doing so; I'm thinking they may have some sort of time period limitation in place for rescheduling

I actually just rescheduled for 8/24. I have a prereq class that starts in a week unfortunately, so I didn't want there too be too much overlap. Or I may have taken it later as well...
Hmm that is so strange. I am taking it in NorCal and there are definitely dates to sign up for after 9/8. Have you tried calling them? That is strange, though.

I just took my OAT yesterday, and I was in your place like about 2 weeks ago.
Have you taken any of the sample test online or the Kaplan full length tests? Those tests can give you a general idea about whether you are ready for the real OAT. If you get below 300 for those tests, I'll suggest just postpone the test date and take it when you feel you are ready.

Congrats on being done! How did it go? Was your score pretty similar to the Kaplan full lengths?
The last one I took went pretty well, but it is physics that is worrying me. The scores have been all over the place and the last one I took was the first one where my score was finally above a 300 (the previous ones were in the 200's). I definitely am not confident enough in physics yet, so I pushed my test back a couple of weeks. I hope it doesn't effect my application submission date too much. I am hoping that will help! I hope...

Congrats on being done! How did it go? Was your score pretty similar to the Kaplan full lengths?
The last one I took went pretty well, but it is physics that is worrying me. The scores have been all over the place and the last one I took was the first one where my score was finally above a 300 (the previous ones were in the 200's). I definitely am not confident enough in physics yet, so I pushed my test back a couple of weeks. I hope it doesn't effect my application submission date too much. I am hoping that will help! I hope...

I feel the real OAT actually is easier than the Kaplan full lengthen. And don't worry too much about the physics part, it's much easier in the real one. All the calculations in the physics part is very straight forward, not like the Kaplan tests. If you still have time you can go through the MCAT physics book, it covers all the basic concepts you need to know for OAT, not too overwhelming but just wide and hard enough for OAT. It helped me got 400 in physics. If you need the book, I'd like to share it with you. Since I also bought it as a used book, I'd like to give you for free if you are willing to pay the shipping.

Here is a link to my full experience and learning strategies, including my scores on the tests:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/my-oat-experience-and-study-strategy_2016.1214481/

Good luck on your OAT and application!

Try to focus on the task at hand. Take online practice tests to familiarize yourself with the test! Kaplan and Princeton Review OAT prep books come with practice tests for you to take (and if you're doing poorly on them and that's worrying you, remember that those practice tests are usually MUCH more difficult than the real thing). Pushing back your application two weeks will not make too much of a difference. You need to go into your OAT feeling ready and confident in your abilities, otherwise you will set yourself up for failure (mind over matter is real!).

Others have mentioned that you are still able to submit your application without having taken your OAT yet. You are also given the option to say in your application "when" you will take the test, so the school will be able to see that you are at least due to take it soon. One thing that concerns me is that you haven't been focusing too much on your application, in order to focus on studying for the OAT. Don't forego putting the appropriate amount of time into your application just for studying. The OAT is important, but the quality of your answers to essay questions and your personal statement are just as important, if not more important! The OAT is a standardized test, which compares you to other test-takers. But your essays will allow the committees to see who you are as an individual in your own words! If there are schools you are applying to which don't have a supplemental application, and your personal statement is completed, submit now!

Reactions: 1 user
I actually just rescheduled for 8/24. I have a prereq class that starts in a week unfortunately, so I didn't want there too be too much overlap. Or I may have taken it later as well...
Hmm that is so strange. I am taking it in NorCal and there are definitely dates to sign up for after 9/8. Have you tried calling them? That is strange, though.
I figured it out. I paid in March and there is a six month eligibility period.