Advice Please! Should I reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonKnotty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I feel like I am already a bit late to start my primary application again considering processing/verification and letter of recommendations, but I am seriously lost if I should reapply again or wait another year.

Here are my stats from last year:

3.8 science GPA and 3.75 undergrad. 31 MCAT (11 PS, 10 V, 10BS).
1 year research experience
3 years non-clinical volunteering
~40 hrs of shadowing
EMT Certified. 24 hours volunteering as EMT and work for 4 weeks
Good LOR but none from a physician
worked part-time 3/4 years of college

Improvements this year:
>130hrs of volunteering at a hospice
65 hrs of shadowing
work as tutor, especially for underprivileged children
Hoping to secure LOR from volunteer coordinator and physician

My doubt comes in terms of patient contact. When I contacted the admissions committee of some schools, I was informed my lack of patient contact was the area of concern (my GPA and MCAT were competitive). One office stated that hospice volunteering is near the end of life and would rather have applicants with more typical patient contact. For the coming application cycle, I have been accepted in an AmeriCorps Program that has patient contact. However, it does not start till August of this year. Should I apply now or apply next year having done the AmeriCorps Program? Have I made improvements in my application for this cycle?

Thank you!! All the advice would really be helpful. I want to start application as soon as possible but want to do so knowing I am making a sound decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the complaints from that one school about your ECs in hospice care are bogus. if anything, it takes a lot of compassion to be around dying people. So, don't apply to that school.

I think you're fine and just continue to do volunteer work and go ahead and reapply. Send up the schools you're really intereasted in updates during the year.

My doubt comes in terms of patient contact. When I contacted the admissions committee of some schools, I was informed my lack of patient contact was the area of concern (my GPA and MCAT were competitive). One office stated that hospice volunteering is near the end of life and would rather have applicants with more typical patient contact. For the coming application cycle, I have been accepted in an AmeriCorps Program that has patient contact. However, it does not start till August of this year. Should I apply now or apply next year having done the AmeriCorps Program? Have I made improvements in my application for this cycle?

Thank you!! All the advice would really be helpful. I want to start application as soon as possible but want to do so knowing I am making a sound decision.[/QUOTE]