Advice please?

Started by FeenyFee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FeenyFee

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on the forum so I am sorry if it is in the wrong place 🙂

I am a 22 y/o hispanic female and have just graduated from the University of South Florida with a major in biomedical sciences and a minor in psychology. I basically spent those 4 years trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I always wanted to be a vet but because of family pressure and lack of confidence, I did not pursue it. I bounced around from PT, PA, dentistry, etc. but I hated it all.

Well long story short, I finally grew some balls and decided to pursue vet. I feel so good.

I started volunteering in a vet clinic and have an interview set up for a position as a vet assistant and I also just got a job as a pet care technician and pet sitter. I also volunteer in a microbiology lab at school.

My question is: should I give a shot at applying to vet school for the 2015-2016 cycle or wait?

GPA: overall 3.85
GRE: V150, Q147, 4.0 (My Q is in the 28% percentile..............)
Experience:
100 hrs in chemistry lab
52 hours volunteering at American Cancer Society
Member of Phi Eta Sigma Academic Fraternity

LOR's are from the vet I am volunteering for, research professor and a dog behaviorist that owns the company that I am going to be working for the canine camp/pet sitting.

All the rest of my experience will be completed before applying... I estimate about 100 hours of volunteering in the vet clinic and 100 hours of working in the vets office as well as about 100 hours of pet sitting/canine camp counselor.

I obviously have to retake the GRE because the percentiles are nowhere near UF's recommended (only school I am applying to...).

My worries: not enough experience for a decent personal statement, not enough experience in general, very low GRE scores

On one hand I feel like I have nothing to lose... and on the other hand I feel like I have a lot of money to lose. 😉
 
Hello, and welcome to SDN! If you post these stats in our "What Are Your Chances" thread there are a lot of helpful people who are more than happy to give some advice :hello:
 
1) There is a "What Are My Chances" thread for these types of posts
2) 200 vet hours will likely not be enough for UF. I have seen them recommend 500 at minimum. You need more hours and in different areas (not just small animal). I would wait until you have more hours.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) There is a "What Are My Chances" thread for these types of posts
2) 200 vet hours will likely not be enough for UF. I have seen them recommend 500 at minimum. You need more hours and in different areas (not just small animal). I would wait until you have more hours.

Okay, I will post there thanks!!
 
Definitely apply. You only lose out on money for the application, but could potentially save a year of time. If that's worth it to you, I'd highly recommend it.

As a bonus, if you have to reapply next year, it will be a smoother experience as you're already familiar with the game.