Advice please :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimpleSam

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am feeling a bit depressed.. I took my DAT in july and got a AA 17 and Pat 20. If that isn't bad enough i have been working on my applications and realized that my overall gap is calculated to a 2.8. I did really bad the first two years of college. I had to work a few jobs and personal things occurred. The last 2 years of college i averaged a 3.2 and a 3.5 the last year. my first two years are so bad that it has overshadowed everything. I am not sure what to do. I know i have to retake DAT but now i ran into a whole new problem. I have a strong passion for dentistry but i don't know what to do. do i have a chance? what should i do? please help :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, i am feeling a bit depressed.. I took my DAT in july and got a AA 17 and Pat 20. If that isn't bad enough i have been working on my applications and realized that my overall gap is calculated to a 2.8. I did really bad the first two years of college. I had to work a few jobs and personal things occurred. The last 2 years of college i averaged a 3.2 and a 3.5 the last year. my first two years are so bad that it has overshadowed everything. I am not sure what to do. I know i have to retake DAT but now i ran into a whole new problem. I have a strong passion for dentistry but i don't know what to do. do i have a chance? what should i do? please help :(
In my personal opinion, you don't have much of a chance as it stands now.... BUT you do have one in the long run if you're willing to work for it! Do a post-bach, get that GPA up while taking high-level science classes, retake the DAT and get AT LEAST a 21 (higher would be better), and apply broadly. How are your EC's? Don't give up if you really want this, but realize you're going to have to bust your ass to get it now.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you please give the complete breakdown of all your scores. What is your science GPA? Where do you go to school?

In my personal opinion, you don't have much of a chance as it stands now.... BUT you do have one in the long run if you're willing to work for it! Do a post-bach, get that GPA up while taking high-level science classes, retake the DAT and get AT LEAST a 21 (higher would be better), and apply broadly. How are your EC's? Don't give up if you really want this, but realize you're going to have to bust your ass to get it now.
My EC is decent, i have a lot of volunteering, i worked full time during undergrad. I just got my certification as a dental assistant now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please give the complete breakdown of all your scores. What is your science GPA? Where do you go to school?
Hello orgoman, first i would like to thank you for the resources you have published to make students successful.

My Dat scores are

PAT 20
Bio 18
Gchem 16
Ochem 17
RC 17
QR 16
TS 17
AA 17

My GPA the last two years of my college years is 3.3 and it goes up in trend. My science GPA is 3.2, so my first two years i messed up in ochem and gen chem and i retook. i never knew that all the grades would be counted. thats partly the reason for the overall very low GPA also. I went to the university of Texas. I just started working as a dental assistant which hopefully looks good. i am studying for the DAT right now and waiting on post bacc programs.

Hey a fellow spongebob fan! :D! Anyways, while you are trending upwards that upwards trend is still kinda low ;(. Blow your postbacc/masters out of the water (3.9+) and get a 21+ on the DAT! Your sGPA really isn't that bad considering your oGPA. I think you can repair your damage in a year or two! Keep your head up man! Follow the magic conch to the road of victory!!!