Advice! Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tovbhk

Reaction score
Hi, for those of ya'll who have already taken the exam recently, I was just wondering if the real thing was most similar to the Destroyer book of all study resources used. Mostly in regards to the question format and content? Also, if I want to get an idea of how I would score, what test should I take besides the released 2007 and 2009 exams? Should I just time myself using the Destroyer book? Thanks and hope someone could help me out please! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT about a month ago, the real DAT was closest to DATBooster from my experience than any other resource I used. From my experience DATDestroyer had harder questions than what showed up on the real DAT which is great because it really prepares you and helps fill in any missing gaps in knowledge. So I don't think it's meant to be used as a timed-exam.

The 2007 and 2009 exams are super old and were not good reflections of what I saw on my exam.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a good question. I took the DAT last Christmas and I used the Destroyer. I agree with the above post. Destroyer is definitely designed to over-prepare you by asking questions that are loaded with useful info, especially for the Bio section which is notorious for throwing some curve balls at you. The Destroyer is not designed to be used for timed exam practice. In my opinion, as well as that of numerous other students that I've talked to, timed exams are a waste as you might run the danger of psyching yourself out in case you don't score as high as you want. You're better off studying using the preferred tools of your choice (I can only recommend Destroyer and Youtube videos since that's what I used). If you're worried about adequate time, I can speak for myself and others who've observed that there is PLENTY of time for the science portion of the DAT. It's really on PAT, RC and QR that you are up against the clock (particularly in RC). Also, keep in mind that for the time being ProMetric testing centers are requiring test takers to wear masks (they will not admit you without some sort of face covering). So you might want to practice your Destroyer questions while wearing a mask so that you can mentally acclimate yourself to the discomfort of breathing into the mask while trying to recall information that you studied.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's a good question. I took the DAT last Christmas and I used the Destroyer. I agree with the above post. Destroyer is definitely designed to over-prepare you by asking questions that are loaded with useful info, especially for the Bio section which is notorious for throwing some curve balls at you. The Destroyer is not designed to be used for timed exam practice. In my opinion, as well as that of numerous other students that I've talked to, timed exams are a waste as you might run the danger of psyching yourself out in case you don't score as high as you want. You're better off studying using the preferred tools of your choice (I can only recommend Destroyer and Youtube videos since that's what I used). If you're worried about adequate time, I can speak for myself and others who've observed that there is PLENTY of time for the science portion of the DAT. It's really on PAT, RC and QR that you are up against the clock (particularly in RC). Also, keep in mind that for the time being ProMetric testing centers are requiring test takers to wear masks (they will not admit you without some sort of face covering). So you might want to practice your Destroyer questions while wearing a mask so that you can mentally acclimate yourself to the discomfort of breathing into the mask while trying to recall information that you studied.

^ Seconded to all of this, couldn't have said it better myself

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, for those of ya'll who have already taken the exam recently, I was just wondering if the real thing was most similar to the Destroyer book of all study resources used. Mostly in regards to the question format and content? Also, if I want to get an idea of how I would score, what test should I take besides the released 2007 and 2009 exams? Should I just time myself using the Destroyer book? Thanks and hope someone could help me out please! :)
DAT Bootcamp has a free timed test. I think DAT Booster has one free timed test. I think Orgo man has made some free timed tests as well. Booster is closest to the really thing.

Destroyer is more of a content review and content practice but is harder than the real test. Doing timed destroyer will not be representative of how quickly you’ll move through questions on the real thing.

Reactions: 1 users