Advice please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinewithoutbarriers

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You stated you applied to the MD/DO schools twice already. Were you interviewed for any schools during your previous 2 application cycles? What changes have you made to your application for the third cycle to become more competitive? I need this information before I can give you advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do your volunteer hours look like and do you have anything interesting in your app. Perhaps a compelling story, strong research background, or some kind of achievement that’s relatively unique? To me, a 3.0 science gpa is pretty damning, much less when combined with a 500 mcat score.... that’s not even including the fact that it took 3 tries to achieve that and you’re an international student. Your possible saving grace is that you do have a good master’s gpa but even that won’t save you unless you have a well rounded app and a significantly higher Mcat score. I don’t think anything under a 510 will cut it.

Undergrad gpa: 3.21
Overall sgpa (amcas): 3.00
MCAT: 3x (496, 498, 500). 2018 - 2020. I am thinking of registering for the January MCAT date next year but I am not sure it is a good decision.

Although you may have improved your MCAT score, the increase in 2 points per attempt is poor. It would have been one thing to say you jumped from a 496 to 504 or 505. This is not a good sign in my opinion. With a low MCAT score on top of a significantly low undergrad and SGPA you are in a REALLY TOUGH position. I honestly do not even think it is worth taking the MCAT again unless you can drastically improve your score to like a 509 or 510+.

Is there anything you in your application which could explain the low MCAT and GPA? Anything reasonable? Health issue, family issues etc.? Ontop of that is there anything that you have done recently which is a POWERFUL asset for you in your application this time around? I am just trying to be as real with you as possible.

Last edited:
Yes, the reason for the low grades and scores is that I had family issues which caused me to be depressed for a long time. I am still trying to find my bearings. I currently work as a research assistant at a major medical center. The pandemic put a lot of plans out of order so I was unable to volunteer or shadow doctors I work with. However, I think that my research work is my greatest strength. My masters degree was mainly research (bench work), no publications yet, a couple of poster presentations and I am currently in charge of some major experiments in the lab.

Very good! You should have an explanation for your low GPA with the family issues. With being heavily involved in research at a major medical center puts you in a pretty solid position too. With the Pandemic going around I assume the adcoms would understand the burden it puts on other applicants.

Two questions now. What score are you hoping to achieve on the MCAT retake and what are you currently scoring right now on your practice exams? Lastly, what DO schools have you selected to apply to?

You can shoot your shot with the MD schools as well if you would like to however, I would urge you to be very precise on what schools are within your range. For MD, unfortunately you are not in a position to shop around. Be more strategic on which MD schools you plan to apply for.

You will have to do significantly better on your MCAT for any chance at medical school (505+ at the very least).

Undergrad gpa: 3.21
Overall sgpa (amcas): 3.00
MCAT: 3x (496, 498, 500). 2018 - 2020. I am thinking of registering for the January MCAT date next year but I am not sure it is a good decision.

International students need to be superstars for MD. If your MS was a research MS and not an SMP, that will be discounted by MD, but not DO schools.

You have shown very little improvement on the MCAT and so I think that you've hit your plateau, and so can't recommend another retake.

Your best chances for a career in Medicine will be to ace an SMP at a program hosted by a med school with good linkage, like LECOM.

But get your mental health issues in order first. Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

Reactions: 1 user