Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aragorn3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 29 on my MCAT. 9 on both verbal and physical sciences and a 11 on biological sciences. Should I retake it in April or not? I am trying to get in either UT-Houston, Southwestern,Baylor and anywhere else in Texas. Keep in mind I am not a URM. If I get a lower score will it look bad on my application or will they look at the highest score?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A 29 is below the mean for matriculants at Southwestern and Baylor (both around 33), but shouldn't be a problem for matching with one of the other Texas schools.

Apply early and remember that there are other factors involved.

aragorn3 said:
I got a 29 on my MCAT. 9 on both verbal and physical sciences and a 11 on biological sciences. Should I retake it in April or not? I am trying to get in either UT-Houston, Southwestern,Baylor and anywhere else in Texas. Keep in mind I am not a URM. If I get a lower score will it look bad on my application or will they look at the highest score?

Thanks

A 29 should be adequate for some of those schools if your other credentials (GPA, good ECs, good LORs) are also in order. But a 29 is possibly not enough if you were counting on the MCAT to pull you up due to other application deficiencies (esp. a low GPA). A lower retake will look bad, and hurt your application, potentially pulling you out of contention -- only do so if you are currently scoring much higher on full length practice tests.