Advice please

Started by aragorn3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aragorn3

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a 29 on my MCAT. 9 on both verbal and physical sciences and a 11 on biological sciences. Should I retake it in April or not? I am trying to get in either UT-Houston, Southwestern,Baylor and anywhere else in Texas. Keep in mind I am not a URM. If I get a lower score will it look bad on my application or will they look at the highest score?

Thanks
 
A 29 is below the mean for matriculants at Southwestern and Baylor (both around 33), but shouldn't be a problem for matching with one of the other Texas schools.

Apply early and remember that there are other factors involved.
 
aragorn3 said:
I got a 29 on my MCAT. 9 on both verbal and physical sciences and a 11 on biological sciences. Should I retake it in April or not? I am trying to get in either UT-Houston, Southwestern,Baylor and anywhere else in Texas. Keep in mind I am not a URM. If I get a lower score will it look bad on my application or will they look at the highest score?

Thanks

A 29 should be adequate for some of those schools if your other credentials (GPA, good ECs, good LORs) are also in order. But a 29 is possibly not enough if you were counting on the MCAT to pull you up due to other application deficiencies (esp. a low GPA). A lower retake will look bad, and hurt your application, potentially pulling you out of contention -- only do so if you are currently scoring much higher on full length practice tests.