Advice please

Started by idoc2b
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

idoc2b

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which course would you recommend taking this semester with a full-time job while applying into programs? A biostats course at the masters level (3 credits) or anatomy and physiology II at a cc (4 credits)?

Thanks
 
Anatomy and Phys is more likely to be seen 1st year and on 1st boards.
Depends, if you want to go into research then maybe biostats.
 
idoc2b said:
Which course would you recommend taking this semester with a full-time job while applying into programs? A biostats course at the masters level (3 credits) or anatomy and physiology II at a cc (4 credits)?

Thanks

Wait a sec, are you talking about pre-reqs for opto school? I don't think any schools require biostats -- the ones that require statistics will probably accept any intro to stats class. (Although perhaps you're taking biostats to satisfy your own major req?)

I would say Anat and Physio are much more difficult than statistics in general. And I don't believe you can take Physio (in most schools) without having taken Anat. Is "anatomy and physiology II" a single class that combines both? If so, check with the schools you're applying to, to make sure that they'd accept such a class -- I have a feeling they wouldn't. If "anatomy and physiology II" is just the title of a Physio class (and you've already taken Anat), then I sound really stupid right now; so forget what I said before.

That said, I took a physio class while I was working a full time job, but I had the leisure of setting a good schedule for my job, and my class (because it was at a CC) really was not so hard that I found myself studying for it outside of class time (mind you, I was a psychobio major for undergrad and I had essentially learned all the stuff we went over in numerous classes). In fact, I never even saw the book for that class (that gives you an idea how much studying I did outside of class -- nil).

So if your biostats class is going to be hard (because I realize you said it was masters level), take the physio class. If, on the other hand, you don't already know your physio stuff pretty well, and/or the biostats class is as easy as a regular stats class (or if you can take a regular stats class instead), then I'd do the stats.

I talk a lot.

Oh, by the way, make sure the physio class you're taking has a lab component -- that's very important.