Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgeng03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 3.85
Science GPA 3.9
August MCAT 12P 5V 11B
January MCAT 8P 7V 12B

It doesn't look like I'm going to get in this year. I was wondering what I should do during my year off. At my current school I can do a masters of biochem where they are going to pay me about 1300 a month if I TA a class every quarter. Does this look like a good option because its going to allow me to get a free masters? Are there better options that I should do because I do not need to raise my gpa? Also if I want to be early next year when would i need to take the MCATS this summer?

Members don't see this ad.

The majority of test sites I think are all filled up until June or July for the MCAT, which means schools would get your scores in August-September. That's not really late, but it's not earlier enough to give you a huge advantage either. If you want to be early for the entering class of 2008 application cycle then the MCAT should have preferably been taken in March or April to allow you to finish your apps in May.

I don't think you need a Masters, you just need to bring up your MCAT. Have you considered prep courses like The Princeton Review? If you do go for the MS will you have time to study for the MCAT? If not I think getting a job in the healthcare field while studying for MCAT would be a better choice.

My school starts in late Sept so I will have time to take the MCATS over the summer. I'm still going to apply in june and fill my secondarys. I'm hoping for my new mcat scores to get there at the same time as my secondaries. Would taking the MCATS in august allow me to do this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied 3 times and what I learned from the process is that you need to have signifcant clinical experiences (paid or unpaid). The adcoms need to see your passion for medicine as well as your awareness of what medicine involves.

Good Luck! :luck:

I have been in a program at a hospital that is very hands on for over a year. I dont think its going to be a problem for me. Could any please tell me when would be the best time to take the mcats this summer inorder to be considered early. I want to send out my applications in June and have my secondaries returned to schools while my mcats scores get there at the same time. Does anyone know when to take the mcats for this to happen thanks.

Can anyone tell me what my chances are to get into a MD school in the US if I don't retake the MCATS this summer and just apply with my current scores?

Thanks

Can anyone tell me what my chances are to get into a MD school in the US if I don't retake the MCATS this summer and just apply with my current scores?

Thanks

I don't think they're all that horrible as long as everything else is in place and you apply really early and broadly. Your verbal will probably hold you back a little bit, but if you're really gunning to get in this year and don't mind spending the money, then I'd definitely go for it. Hit the lower tiered schools like Drexel, Temple, NYMC, Albany, etc. pretty hard and throw in a bunch of mid-tiered schools. Your gpa is excellent and that will help compensate for the low-ish mcat. Do you have a state school, and are you a URM? Both those factors help immensely.

Yeah, your GPA is fine so I wouldn't worry with a post-bacc program. Where you are wanting to apply to? From what I've seen if you're looking at out of state MD schools you may need to be a little more competitive than their in-state applicants. A general number I hear a lot is an MCAT of at least 30. You've got a great gpa and seemingly good clinical experience so you could possibly get away with a slightly lower mcat but if you have a med school near you or access to a pre-health advisor I'd run your entire application by them to get some feedback.