Advice Please

Started by timmus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

timmus

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently reapplying to Med School but I am unsure what I should be doing in my off year. I applied this past application cycle knowing I did not have a very good shot of getting in. My GPA is a 3.49 with a 3.30 BCPM. My MCAT score is a 25M. I am retaking the MCAT July 13th. My question is would doing a SMP post bac help me or would it be more of a risk than an asset. I know my MCAT is very low and I plan on getting that up but from what I heard SMP's are for those with GPAs that are very low. I know mine isn't the greatest but I feel it was my MCAT that held me back not my GPA. I was able to get 2 interviews with those stats. Would you suggest I do an SMP, or take the year off and do research. Also my last question is would a med school look down on me if I was to be enrolled in a 2 year medical masters program and try to matriculate into med school after only 1 year of the program? Would I be better off doing a 1 year SMP even if the 2 year program is a little better?

Thanks
Timmus
 
Getting the MCAT up is the best thing for you now. You will have to get better than 3 A's for every B you get in that SMP; less than that, and you will damage your GPA. Getting the MCAT up carries the least risk and the most potential benefit.