Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timmus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently reapplying to Med School but I am unsure what I should be doing in my off year. I applied this past application cycle knowing I did not have a very good shot of getting in. My GPA is a 3.49 with a 3.30 BCPM. My MCAT score is a 25M. I am retaking the MCAT July 13th. My question is would doing a SMP post bac help me or would it be more of a risk than an asset. I know my MCAT is very low and I plan on getting that up but from what I heard SMP's are for those with GPAs that are very low. I know mine isn't the greatest but I feel it was my MCAT that held me back not my GPA. I was able to get 2 interviews with those stats. Would you suggest I do an SMP, or take the year off and do research. Also my last question is would a med school look down on me if I was to be enrolled in a 2 year medical masters program and try to matriculate into med school after only 1 year of the program? Would I be better off doing a 1 year SMP even if the 2 year program is a little better?

Thanks
Timmus

Members don't see this ad.

Getting the MCAT up is the best thing for you now. You will have to get better than 3 A's for every B you get in that SMP; less than that, and you will damage your GPA. Getting the MCAT up carries the least risk and the most potential benefit.