Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdhdds1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a difficult quandry and would appreciate any insght into this as would be possible.

I am currently studying for the DAT (scheduled for Aug 27th) and am wondering if I will ever be ready. I am using Topscore, DAT Achiever, DAT Destroyer by Orgoman and Kaplan (yes I paid the money for something I probably could have figured out on my own :rolleyes:).

Anyways, to my quandry. I am applying for next year (2008) like most of the members here. I have yet to take OChem and was wondering if it is possible to do well on the DAT OChem section with studying only what I have or is there a better guide out there?

The second part of the quandry is does one ever feel absoulutely ready for the DAT:scared:? I have been studying for 3-5 hours per day and 6-8 hours on the weekends to include Firday afternoons. I work 40+ hours a week and find myself unraveling at the seems:eek:.

I have a butt load of experience in the field but I am like most and find myself unsure or at least feeling unprepared for an exam that seems to make or break a dental application:confused:.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

If you understand the OC from your study materials listed then I would say you are more than ready. I suggest having at least taken OC I but hey, if you feel like you understand the concepts from the study material then youre good. As for feeling completely ready...you just need to concentrate on efficiently studying as much as possible and go into the test feeling like you have done your absolute best to prepare.

If you have never taken any orgo I would have to imagine that it would be extremely difficult to have any success on the orgo section - unless you have a unique ability to learn and understand things very quickly. Ive heard of people taking the exam with only orgo 1 under their belt but never heard of anyone taking it without having taken any orgo at all. Additionally, I feel that most practice materials expect you to have basic understandings already so I dont know how useful they will be for you. I guess you could start taking some practice tests and see how youre progressing in that area. The study guys that you are currently are the best prep materials available. I dont mean to burst your bubble but Im just giving you my honest opinion... good luck!!

No bubble bursting here. I know that without ochem it is an uphill battle. However, I finished my chem II this summer and our instructor went over ochem (all bieght briefly) and the basic concepts I caught onto rather quickly (even for a summer course).

All I can say is that I shall post and let everyone know how I did. My main goal is to study do as well as I can on the 27th and then, if need be, I have 3 months to study some more and by that time I will have completed my ochem and can take the DAT again. If a second DAT is needed then I will still be within the cutoff for this cycle. Maybe not all schools but hopefully a few that I have chosen to apply to.