Advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

uscmaeberry

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I am having trouble deciding what to do about the PCAT. I just changed my major from accounting to pre-pharmacy so I still have all my science classes to take. My goal is to get into pharmacy school in fall '09. I am scheduled to take Biology I, Chemistry I, and Physics I next semester and whatever I can take over the summer so I think it is possible to finish the classes in a decent amount of time. My issue is the PCAT because I only have so many chances to take it (I read that it was going to be offered in June, August, and October this year) and I don't know if I will be prepared enough to take it when it is offered.
I was thinking of taking the Kaplan course but it is only offered from May to June. I'm not sure I will have enough science classes taken by that time to really do me any good.
I really want to be able to start in fall '09 but am unsure as to how to go about preparing since I am just now starting my science classes. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I should prepare, whether it would help to take the class, etc it would be much appreciated.
I feel like I should start preparing somehow but I have no idea what to do. Thanks!
 
Hi,
I am having trouble deciding what to do about the PCAT. I just changed my major from accounting to pre-pharmacy so I still have all my science classes to take. My goal is to get into pharmacy school in fall '09. I am scheduled to take Biology I, Chemistry I, and Physics I next semester and whatever I can take over the summer so I think it is possible to finish the classes in a decent amount of time. My issue is the PCAT because I only have so many chances to take it (I read that it was going to be offered in June, August, and October this year) and I don't know if I will be prepared enough to take it when it is offered.
I was thinking of taking the Kaplan course but it is only offered from May to June. I'm not sure I will have enough science classes taken by that time to really do me any good.
I really want to be able to start in fall '09 but am unsure as to how to go about preparing since I am just now starting my science classes. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I should prepare, whether it would help to take the class, etc it would be much appreciated.
I feel like I should start preparing somehow but I have no idea what to do. Thanks!

You seem pretty sure that you will be able to get all your pre-reqs done in time, but Knickerbocker makes a good point about summer courses. And have you checked out what classes are required for the schools you are most interested in? Because even if you take Bio I and II, Chem I and II, and Physics I and II (not all schools require physics, by the way) over spring and the summer, you'll still have some combination of Microbiology, Organic Chem I and II, Statistics, and/or Biochemistry I and II to finish. Plus English, Public Speaking, Calculus, and various humanities and social science electives, if the school requires those and you haven't taken them yet. So just double check that you can actually get all the coursework done by the end of spring 09 if you're set on applying for fall 09.

As for the PCAT... there's no test-prep substitute for actually taking those classes. If you are just starting out in your sciences next semester, you will undoubtedly be missing something when it comes time to take the PCAT, whether it's organic chemistry or microbiology or whatever. Did you have a strong science background in high school? That could help you. You may also want to consider whether or not you feel you can learn an entire yearlong course in the space of a couple of months ala Kaplan.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I think it's great that you're interested in pursuing pharmacy. But you might (might; it's not a definite) end up disappointed if you clamp a deadline on it. Shoot for 2009, but please keep in mind that there is no shame in entering in 2010.

Best of luck to you!
 
Are you a strong science student? Did you do well on the SATs and other standardized tests? If so, Kaplan might be overkill. However, you'll probably want to take the PCAT in June the year before you plan on entering pharmacy school so that you have time to retake, August at the latest. By June 2008 you will *not* have had enough background to take the test. Also, summer school is hard! It's really hard to retain 15 weeks worth of stuff in 4 weeks, especially multiple classes. You will want to really retain all you learn for the PCAT and for your later studies.

My advice is to only take 1 summer course, if you must take summer school, and enter in 2010. Use your extra time to do volunteer work and to get exposed to pharmacy as a profession. Take the PCAT in June 09 so that you have done all/most of the prereqs and still have time to retake if necessary. Good luck!
 
I finished all my other requirements (statistics, calculus, public speaking, econ, etc) I am going to ask my advisor about the summer courses tomorrow. I guess I am just getting nervous and feel as though I should be doing something to prepare and just don't know where to start or what to do seeing as how I haven't had any of my science classes yet.
If everything goes the way I am hoping it will, I'll have had most of my prereqs done in time to take the October PCAT and enough to at least attempt in August.
If not then I guess I'll have an extra year to prepare. I really hope it doesn't come down to that though! 🙂