• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

advice please!

SPS100

May 17, 2009
  1. Rehab Sci Student
    Hey everyone,

I'm sorry i keep being redundant but im freaking out, I'm going to be applying to the DPT program in the fall and i need advice?

anyone out there make it with a wife in the DPT program?
    if yes, where'd you live, and how hard were the circumstances?
    were you able to make enough money to sustain yourself and the wife?

i was thinking of taking a year off just to live with the fuuture wife and take care of rent, but im still unsure..

any advice on experience anyone had would be awsome!

thank you!!

Bigshoguns

10+ Year Member
    Dec 5, 2008
    Southern NJ
    1. Rehab Sci Student
      There are many people in my program that have spouses. They manage pretty well. You might be in a financial crunch, but your significant other will have to understand this and adjust both your lifestyles to it.

Many tend to have their spouses work full time and add student loans into their yearly budget so the financial crunch in a bit less.

Most of the couples live at home, but the first year lived locally. Don't expect to have a full time job and go to PT school, it can be done but it is not ideal and you will stress yourself out or get burned out.

That's my advice to you. :)

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry i keep being redundant but im freaking out, I'm going to be applying to the DPT program in the fall and i need advice?

anyone out there make it with a wife in the DPT program?
      if yes, where'd you live, and how hard were the circumstances?
      were you able to make enough money to sustain yourself and the wife?

i was thinking of taking a year off just to live with the fuuture wife and take care of rent, but im still unsure..

any advice on experience anyone had would be awsome!

thank you!!

DreMD

Dec 30, 2009
        "the wife" will be fine. She works doesn't she?

"the wife" will probably also enjoy having you out of the house once in a while! don't ruin marriage by being too clingy in the first year.

Just because you have "the wife" in your picture now, doesn't mean you still can't chase your dreams, "the wife" will juggle her own commitments and support you fully if she loves you enough. Likewise, if "the wife" is having difficulty on the home front, you will have to juggle school/home life and support "the wife".

Take home message: stop worrying so much. Men/women have gone to Iraq while their spouses stayed home and tended to bills/work/school/kid's soccer games, and everyone still turned out fine. If you think school and "the wife" are a problem, wait til you have 2 adults with jobs and 3 kids in the household!

About the Ads

ajune

Dec 30, 2009
        1. Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
          I like to think of marriage as a partnership where one person helps to support the other - dreams and aspirations as well as finances. I know couples where one works and the other goes to school, where both couples go to school and of course couples who both work. There are examples of people who are successful--and unsuccessful--in each of these categories.

I suggest that you communicate with your wife about her expectations and level of support before hand. In a new marriage it can be difficult to find a balance - this may add some pressure but a strong marriage can provide unparalleled support.

It is an interesting idea to take a year off. There could be some benefit - like more time to focus on your new relationship - but the obvious financial issues probably won't improve. There may be some advantage to just getting started so you don't get too accustomed to a financially comfortable lifestyle.

Good Luck!

Stetson

Oct 12, 2009
          1. Pre-Dental
            "the wife" will be fine. She works doesn't she?

"the wife" will probably also enjoy having you out of the house once in a while! don't ruin marriage by being too clingy in the first year.

Just because you have "the wife" in your picture now, doesn't mean you still can't chase your dreams, "the wife" will juggle her own commitments and support you fully if she loves you enough. Likewise, if "the wife" is having difficulty on the home front, you will have to juggle school/home life and support "the wife".

Take home message: stop worrying so much. Men/women have gone to Iraq while their spouses stayed home and tended to bills/work/school/kid's soccer games, and everyone still turned out fine. If you think school and "the wife" are a problem, wait til you have 2 adults with jobs and 3 kids in the household!

Hey-that's exactly where I am-me and DH working and 3 little ones (6,4,and2) but they should all be in school by the time I finish my pre-req's-
            good advice

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.