advice re: graduate vs. undergraduate courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeanTaylor #21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm taking time off before applying to medical school in order to strengthen my sciences. I decided that taking upper level biology courses was best for me since I was a history major and had limited exposure to the sciences, besides the premedical requirements. Right now, I don't know whether I should be pursuing a MA in Medical/Health Sciences, or do a post-bac and work on building a stronger science foundation (and help my science GPA). I do feel that I am ready to do graduate coursework, but also feel that I will benefit from post-bac classes. Is it more important for me to apply to medical school with a strong undergrad GPA or to go in with another degree? Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you've completed your premed requirements and you did well in those courses you should not do any more coursework. You've proven you can do well in the sciences. Besides, medical school is not so much 'sciences'; it's a lot of memorization through hard, hard work. If you're going to take time off, get some 'real world' experience. Volunteer here and there. Shadow physicians etc. Nowadays, med schools love so called non-traditional students with degrees other than bio/chem/etc. So again, there's no need to 'strengthen your sciences' unless you had a poor showing in the premed courses.

SeanTaylor #21 said:
Hi,
I'm taking time off before applying to medical school in order to strengthen my sciences. I decided that taking upper level biology courses was best for me since I was a history major and had limited exposure to the sciences, besides the premedical requirements. Right now, I don't know whether I should be pursuing a MA in Medical/Health Sciences, or do a post-bac and work on building a stronger science foundation (and help my science GPA). I do feel that I am ready to do graduate coursework, but also feel that I will benefit from post-bac classes. Is it more important for me to apply to medical school with a strong undergrad GPA or to go in with another degree? Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Assuming you want to strengthen your sciences because you either haven't taken any upper div bio or you didn't do that stellar in it, I would say to take futher undergrad coursework. Med schools initially look at those numbers and although an advanced degree never hurts, they do not weight the GPA the same (many schools ignore it.) If you're looking to up the GPA, take the undergrad classes (many of the advanced ones can be very challenging.)