Advice re: private loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leapfrog80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a resident currently and due to unforeseen circumstances will likely need to take out a loan for $20,000-30,000. I'm not financially savvy and don't even know where to begin or if I can find such money with short notice. I know Citibank offers a residency loan but I was wondering if anyone could recommend to me other lenders that are currently offering reasonable private loans?
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Suntrust I know does loans for physicians.
I would start with your bank (that you use for other stuff) and see if they will make a personal loan to you. Most banks that do this I think charge around 10-15% interest, so it's better than putting stuff on credit cards, but not as good as student loan rates. Usually they'll lend you money based on how far you are along in training (i.e. 5k for a PGY 3 med student, 10k for aPGY4 student, 20k for a 1st year resident, etc.). I just made those actual numbers up, but the principle right, as far as how a lot of the banks do things.

Just spoke with representative at Suntrust. Can get up to 30,000 as PGY2 but the interest rates are terrible, 10-14% and although the first four years you can pay off just interest, that alone is about $300 a month. I can't believe there are no better options out there?