Advice regarding pharmacy schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zcriley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently decided that pharmacy would be a good career fit, and I'm trying to decide what my best course of action would be regarding pharmacy schools.

I started in community college because I had health problems in high school and needed something a little lower stress. Graduated with a 3.75 (highest honors) and an associate's and then moved to the University of Rhode island where I'm about to complete my bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences with a 3.98.Since I had so many credits from trying to figure out what I wanted to do in community college I figured I might as well finish the bachelor's rather than applying directly to pharm school.

I'm interested in either clinical pharmacy or research. I realize that research usually requires a phd, so I've been looking at dual pharmd/phd programs; Does anyone have advice as to which schools offering a dual degree program would be good to look into? Is it even worth getting both degrees? I'd love it if there were good options in the new england area, as I'm in a pretty serious relationship and would rather not have to go long distance with my boyfriend for years.

Does anyone have any input on the quality of the pharmacy program at the University of Rhode Island? It would be easier just to stay here in my apartment on campus and finish a pharmd, but I'm not sure about their reputation outside of New England (They're pretty well respected around here.)

I've been volunteering at a hospital pharmacy for the past few years, and have also assisted on a few research teams. Assuming I score well on the PCAT, how competitive will I be for admission? Any places I'm already kinda out of luck? Advisors have stressed that it's really competitive but I'm not sure if having a 3.75 for my first two years already pushes me out.

Sorry for the wall of questions; feel free to answer any or all, and thanks in advance for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I recently decided that pharmacy would be a good career fit, and I'm trying to decide what my best course of action would be regarding pharmacy schools.

I started in community college because I had health problems in high school and needed something a little lower stress. Graduated with a 3.75 (highest honors) and an associate's and then moved to the University of Rhode island where I'm about to complete my bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences with a 3.98.Since I had so many credits from trying to figure out what I wanted to do in community college I figured I might as well finish the bachelor's rather than applying directly to pharm school.

I'm interested in either clinical pharmacy or research. I realize that research usually requires a phd, so I've been looking at dual pharmd/phd programs; Does anyone have advice as to which schools offering a dual degree program would be good to look into? Is it even worth getting both degrees? I'd love it if there were good options in the new england area, as I'm in a pretty serious relationship and would rather not have to go long distance with my boyfriend for years.

Does anyone have any input on the quality of the pharmacy program at the University of Rhode Island? It would be easier just to stay here in my apartment on campus and finish a pharmd, but I'm not sure about their reputation outside of New England (They're pretty well respected around here.)

I've been volunteering at a hospital pharmacy for the past few years, and have also assisted on a few research teams. Assuming I score well on the PCAT, how competitive will I be for admission? Any places I'm already kinda out of luck? Advisors have stressed that it's really competitive but I'm not sure if having a 3.75 for my first two years already pushes me out.

Sorry for the wall of questions; feel free to answer any or all, and thanks in advance for your advice!

While searching for PharmD/PhD dual programs, I came across University of Washington, UCSD, USC, University of Michigan, and UCSF. They all have attractive pharmD/phD programs. You should take a look at them. Your GPA looks good and is a competitive gpa.

Forgot to add.. you dont really need a PhD to do research. I know a couple of pharmacists who are involved in academic research. They were able to apply to fellowship without a phd.