Advice requested for non-trad

Started by eaton3122
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eaton3122

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I completed my undergrad 10 years ago with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering. Finished with a 3.96 GPA. I have decided that I want to pursue medical school, and I have a couple of decisions to make and would like some input. I was able to find a little information on my first question through the search function, but wanted to get some more recent opinions to make sure the answer was the same. As for pre-reqs, I still have to take 8 hours of biology, 4 more hours of gen chem, and 8 hours of ochem. Do you guys think that it will negatively affect my competitiveness if I take the biology and gen chem classes at a local community college? This would obviously be my preferred method because it would be much cheaper and I could take them in the evening after work. I'm planning on doing the ochem at a university.

My next question relates to specific classes....so, the requirements for the medical schools I'm looking at only state that they require 8 hours of biology. So, should I just take Biology 1 & 2 or should I take different biology classes like Anatomy & Human physiology or something similar? Any input and help would be appreciated! Thanks!
 
Engineering degree + 3.96 + good grades in recent coursework + strong MCAT = no concerns about academic prowess. Take your prereqs wherever you like, just get A's.
(Note to those playing at home: this is a perfect example of when it's fine to take CC coursework. It's after a very high GPA in a very difficult science-heavy major at a regular university. See the difference between this and a low GPA or liberal arts story?)

Take the normal bio prereqs. The normal prereqs include a fair bit of anatomy and physiology and typically the syllabus matches the MCAT content nicely. Other lower div bio/chem/ochem may be nursing prereqs. Imho if you can slap a couple of upper div biosci classes onto your schedule, such as biochem / micro / pharm / neuro / genetics, that's worthwhile.

Don't let anybody tell you that you need to retake physics until/unless F stops equaling ma.

Respect the MCAT. Plan on needing months to prepare, plan on spending money on prep. It matters so hard.

Best of luck to you.