Advice!! Robert Gordon University - Scotland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CherokeeWahine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I applied to Robert Gordon University in Scotland, as well as some American schools (listed in my signature with my stats). I have my interview with them next week.

Here's the thing:

RGU is a 2 year Master's program in physiotherapy (fully accredited by APTA) and I could come back here to the US and do a transitional DPT (which takes 18 months or less) when I'm done at RGU.

OR... should I just stay here in the US and go to Puget Sound or UOP and just get my doctorate?

The opportunity to study in another country is what is holding me captive.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would go straight to the DPT because its less time and possibly less costs.

you're just making things more complicated. I would advise to just get your DPT degree instead of getting a master's and then getting a tDPT. Why?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the Vision 2020 set forth by the APTA says they want everyone to have a DPT, but a lot of people on these forums have said that getting your MPT will allow you to practice just as successfully as someone with a DPT and at a fraction of the cost/time depending on where you go. If you are dead set on going to Scotland, then why not? You will still be able to be a practicing PT either way.

Just playing devil's advocate....

good luck!

RGU is a terrific school, they educate students very well, and have good NPTE pass rates. It is cheap for US students, especially compared with the high costs some schools charge. And you can work in the US no worries! Aberdeen is really nice.. I highly recommend RGU.

RGU is a terrific school, they educate students very well, and have good NPTE pass rates. It is cheap for US students, especially compared with the high costs some schools charge. And you can work in the US no worries! Aberdeen is really nice.. I highly recommend RGU.

Aaah!! :scared: :eek: I don't know what to do! I would LOVE to study abroad. For me, as long as it's guaranteed that I can come back here to the US and sit for the NPTE, I'm good. I can always get the tDPT once I'm done over there. I just don't want to pass up the opportunity to study in another country.

Did you go to RGU by any chance?

I just commented on your blog post haha. Anyway my thoughts: I'd be hesitant to go to a non-US school, unless it's accredited by the APTA (which this is I guess). In that case, you're good to go.

If you think you want to live abroad for two years, especially if it's cheaper, then absolutely do it. I wouldn't let the MPT vs DPT issue be a deciding factor. It's one year less of school, and potentially cheaper. You don't necessarily need to get the t-DPT right away, if you choose to do that. I know someone who graduated from Northern Illinois University with an MPT last year, and will be getting his t-DPT there in the next year or so while working full time (so at least he's making money while getting the doctorate). NIU just started their DPT program this year, your there are still other schools in the US that are still doing the MPT.

Long story short, do what makes the most sense for you financially, socially, academically, and personally. :)

I did not go to RGU. I have done some work over there for them, and have been impressed with the faculty and students. Last time I was there, I would say 1/2 the students were Irish, 1 from Japan, 1 from Nigeria, 1 from South Africa, 3 Americans, and the rest from the UK (about 25 students or so).

Accreditation of PT schools does NOT come from the APTA. Now in essence it is the same, but the APTA will emphatically tell you CAPTE (Commission for the Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education) is independent from the APTA.
RGU is fully accredited by CAPTE. Once you graduate from RGU, you can sit for NPTE and get licensed like any other entry-level PT graduate. It is not an issue at all.

After 2015, there will be an agreement in place for those getting a Masters from RGU to get a DPT (entry-level, not transitional) from a US university.

Still will work out to be cheaper than a private US school.

Well, I have my answer.

They stood me up on my Skype interview. I've been sitting here for over an hour waiting for the call and nothing. I checked my settings ahead of time to make sure that I accepted all incoming calls/video, but nothing.

I'm extremely disappointed. I expect that type of thing from some fly-by-night place, not a university. :mad::mad::mad:

But at least that gives me my answer. Quite frankly, I made up my mind last week that I wanted to stay here in the USA.

I attended the program and must say it would be the biggest mistake of anyone's life to attend this program. I can elaborate if requested.
Scott Ward should head this when reviewing their accreditation status.

I attended the program and must say it would be the biggest mistake of anyone's life to attend this program. I can elaborate if requested.

I turned down my offer with them in favor of staying here in the good ol' USA. But I am interested in your experience there. Please PM me

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to this program and had my SKYPE interview recently, I am still very undecided but would appreciate more information on your experience if you don't mind sharing. thanks!

I turned down my offer with them in favor of staying here in the good ol' USA. But I am interested in your experience there. Please PM me

would love for more info on this. i was looking into applying to the program, and an inside scoop on the program's strengths and weaknesses would be great.

would love for more info on this. i was looking into applying to the program, and an inside scoop on the program's strengths and weaknesses would be great.

could you perhaps elaborate on this?

I think this meekiale person stopped using SDN a long time ago. Personally, I gave up on Robert Gordon ages ago, so I guess the best answer is to do your research and look at all of your available options before applying anywhere.

you just honestly put me a big dilemma... I love to travel and experience other culture and I think studying abroad is an experience of a lifetime. Plus think about it, you can start working after 2 years and I know of tDPT programs that are part time. Can't beat that. I guess my night will be consumed by researching international (American accredited of course :)) Universities. :)

you just honestly put me a big dilemma... I love to travel and experience other culture and I think studying abroad is an experience of a lifetime. Plus think about it, you can start working after 2 years and I know of tDPT programs that are part time. Can't beat that. I guess my night will be consumed by researching international (American accredited of course :)) Universities. :)

I think there's only 3. Two in Canada and one in Scott , the one this thread is about.

Why Australian pt schools aren't Capte accredited is completely beyond me. Australia supposedly has the best pt in the world. Hell I'd go there

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

Why Australian pt schools aren't Capte accredited is completely beyond me. Australia supposedly has the best pt in the world. Hell I'd go there

Is this actually true? I've heard the same! Is it their research that is better and/or the methods they teach their students?

I think it's because PT to them is a bachelors, masters and a Phd. And their University structure is very specialized... most classes that you take is actually relevant to your degree unlike here in the US where your freshman and your sophomore year is pretty much irrelevant or unnecessary to your career choice. Imagine, having all of your classes being related? The more classes you take within the field the more "fluent" you become in the subject matter. I hear New Zealand is the same. They have very good PT's.

I think it's because PT to them is a bachelors, masters and a Phd. And their University structure is very specialized... most classes that you take is actually relevant to your degree unlike here in the US where your freshman and your sophomore year is pretty much irrelevant or unnecessary to your career choice. Imagine, having all of your classes being related? The more classes you take within the field the more "fluent" you become in the subject matter. I hear New Zealand is the same. They have very good PT's.

Ditto , and to the person before you yes I've heard that's where the most recent and innovative research comes from. My gf is Brazilian and went to UNICID which is the best school in Sao Paulo, and I can tell you that other countries " aredoinitright" and the united states is " doinitwrong" brazil takes you straight from high school and gives you one year of basics and 3 years pt school. So you can have your masters at age 20! In the USA you have to take bull**** classes and get a bs in any random liberal arts degree but as long as you've taken a few pre reqs it's perfectly fine to jump right into pt school as long as you have the grades. Wish I could go to school in Australia

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

So if one were to attend and graduate from RGU-Aberdeen, they would hold a masters degree, but because they are certified under CAPTE, they could come back to the states, take the proper licensing steps and then practice as a PT? Or would they have to earn a t-DPT before they could practice as a PT?

But think about it... going to to RGU makes sense because it's accredited here in the states. Now you can work here in the states with that degree and if you want to get a tDPT, most employers would even pay for your additional schooling since they consider it as an asset. It's generally cheaper than to go to out of state school. You are making money after 2 years in stead of three and will be able to work while completing your tDPT. I think it makes perfect sense. I am applying to RGU and hope it all works out for me. Plus, Imagine the adventure of going to school abroad, can't beat that!

That's how I feel. When are you applying for? This year or this Jan I should say?

Out of the 3 Capte accredited international schools, is GRU the cheapest? There's 2 Canadian schools but the tuition is confusing

I agree. I'm applying o get in January 2013. I think RGU is the cheapest, it' ll be around 20,000 USD tuition a year. Yeah... Are you aware that the cutoff GPA for university of Toronto is 3.7ish. Not average of accepted students, but cutoff!

I agree. I'm applying o get in January 2013. I think RGU is the cheapest, it' ll be around 20,000 USD tuition a year. Yeah... Are you aware that the cutoff GPA for university of Toronto is 3.7ish. Not average of accepted students, but cutoff!

Yea I heard it was rigorous up there. I've heard of people going to Australia ( university if southern Australia specifically) for their mpt but I don't know what they do when they come back

I've been accepted to Robert Gordon for the masters program in January 2013. Has anyone attended this program and have any advice on housing, transportation, etc.?

I've been accepted to Robert Gordon for the masters program in January 2013. Has anyone attended this program and have any advice on housing, transportation, etc.?

You may want to start a new thread for questions on that. This is an old one.

Hi Halie45. I am very interested in speaking with you about your experience with Robert Gordon University. I will be applying and was wondering if you had any tips. The university itself has a lot to offer in terms of information on travel and student expenses. There also appear to be numerous contacts whom could answer specific questions. I hope you are well and I do hope I hear from you. I would be happy to provide my email on a private message.

Reactions: 1 user