Advice: Taking Step 2 in one week!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please advice.

I have step two date set in one week. I have been scoring average of 50% on USMLE world.

What does that translate into usually? If I don't take my step 2 in a week my graduation will be delayed for a whole year, but at the same time, I want to at least pass.

Do you think 50% is sufficient? How does the 50% translate when it comes to the actual step 2 score?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Dunno, but I wanted to bump cause I'm in a similar position (been scoring in the 50s on USMLE world all week, taking test in 1 week). My current plan is just to take it and cross my fingers.

There isn't always a strong correlation b/w UW and actual CK scores but IMO 50% sounds low. What's the overall percentile for that score? I would be hesitant to take the test if your UW percentile is <10. My advice would be to look over your cumulative performance in each category and really hone in on your weaker areas.

50% is the 15th percentile for USMLE World. That's what the overall analysis states.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're scoring 50% random on world and have actually covered everything, you're probably going to fail step2 ck.

You have to consider that if 50% is the 15th percentile or whatever(which would be passing), a lot of those people are doing questions on topics they haven't even started to review yet.

But if you're reviewed as much as you're going to review and are getting 50%, you're probably going to make about 175-180.

question though- why do you have to take it next week to graduate?

It takes three weeks for scores to come out....people graduate in may usually, and even if your programs wont rank you without a step2 score in they dont do the match lists until the middle to end of february....so you can take it in mid-january and still have your scores back by the time programs rank candidates, and months before you actually graduate.

My time off for exam preparation ends at the end of the month. I have absolutely no time off after that until I graduate in May. Plus, I can barely take time off for interviews in Jan and i will have to make the missed hours with extra projects.

My coming up rotations are heavier than average, I would say, and I just can't study for the exam plus rotations so that's out of the window.

I am one of those people that take unused practice tests on sections that I have not read about yet. I use the exams as a learning tool as well. Plus, I still have alot of reading to do.

Do you think some extensive reading between now and exam time plus more questions would improve my score and push it over the passing line? 176-180 sounds pretty close to passing so I was thinking extensive reading at this point would do it.

What do you think? Any other inputs? I am sure that there are some people in my position now and will be in the future who may benefit from this discussion.

Just checking in -- What did you end up deciding to do? How is it going?

Please advice.

I have step two date set in one week. I have been scoring average of 50% on USMLE world.

What does that translate into usually? If I don't take my step 2 in a week my graduation will be delayed for a whole year, but at the same time, I want to at least pass.

Do you think 50% is sufficient? How does the 50% translate when it comes to the actual step 2 score?

Thank you.

I will take it by the end of the month... What about you? Have you decided? Are you still getting the same scores? How did you prepare?

I will take it by the end of the month... What about you? Have you decided? Are you still getting the same scores? How did you prepare?

I also will be sitting for this in a few days.

1. Go back and do a few timed random 46 Q block of problems you have already done. How do you score?

I was scoring 56% near then end of finishing UW. I went back and did some timed random 46 Q blocks on problems I had missed and scored 50's. I included ALL Qs and was hitting 70%. See where you are.

2. Keep doing 3 to 4 blocks per day.

Keep your mind in the test writers mental space. This is key, imo...

3. What book did you read?

Hit it again! If you need something quick, I suggest Deja Review (seems most others like Secrets, pick one).

You (we) can do it! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I am sitting for it in just a couple days. (gulp.)

I have almost completed all of USMLEworld, overall avg 56%, but my last few have been better (60s, mostly, a couple 80s). Why it took doing almost of it just to finally see my scores go up at the end I don't know. (I have been using USMLEworld as my sole study source.)

Once I run out of USMLEworld (hopefully later today), I'm going to ready Secrets for a couple days and then: party time!

I really hope this works out okay. I don't want to have to come back in a few week and write a post sharing a story about what not to do!