Advice/thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panda1617

Reaction score
I’m a first year and I’m almost done with my first semester. A little over a month ago I started getting really depressed and frustrated with my school. We have a really high remediation rate and if you fail our main class (we don’t really do blocks of systems) in the fall of either your first year or second year you have to retake the whole year. Right now I’m passing but I already failed OMM and will have to take that over the summer. Our OMM department is a hot mess (we had our main professor leave over the summer and now only have 2 professors for both the first years and second years) and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. I feel like the school is trying to “weed” people out still which shouldn’t be happening. All that to say I’m always super on edge because of knowing how many people fail and because when I’ve tried to talk to higher ups about my concerns, they don’t really care. I’ve gotten so depressed here that it’s the worst I’ve been in years, my hair is falling out, I keep losing weight, and I don’t even want to get out of bed anymore (yes I am on antidepressants and I’m on the max dose of them). I’m worried that if I’m already this bad I’m not going to be able to handle the rest of school…

Members don't see this ad.

Very sorry to hear about this, op. If you were my advisee, I strongly would recommend a leave of absence and get that depression taken care of. Then come back stronger for next year. This is not giving Medical advice!

Reactions: 3 users