1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Advice/Thoughts

Discussion in 'hSDN' started by ToldYouSo, Nov 29, 2008.

1. ToldYouSo

ToldYouSo Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys, it's me. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I have a question about this college and I would like anyone's thought.

I am very interested in Adelphi University because they have a joint bs/dds degree with Tufts University. The requirements are that you major in Biology and must maintain a 3.5 GPA to be guaranteed admission. Is it hard to maintain that kind of GPA in college?

2. KempDrumsalot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Really just depends on the person. Some people can manage a 4.0, others only can handle a 2.6. Really it comes down to your dedication and control. If you can keep yourself from partying on the nights where you need to study, then you should be fine. I personally am looking forward to my undergrad, so I'm in no rush :D. Good luck if that is your choice though, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask them or send me a PM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    ToldYouSo

ToldYouSo Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thx! I am also looking forward to undergrad...So much. The idea of having a fresh start and a new opportunity to prove yourself is exciting. I am more of a quiet type so parties shouldn't really be a problem :D The drama of High school doesn't appeal to me, so I am almost in a hurry to graduate!

I saw your 13 year plan in your sig, that sounds so cool. You seem to be pretty organized on what you want to do! I hope we both stick to our goals and follow through :cool:

4. KempDrumsalot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I find a balance that allows me to be fun, but be smart/know my place. I agree about the drama of HS though, it is ridiculous. On the other hand, it's going to be wierd going to somewhere with so many people that you don't know. I've just out-grown most of my friends/the people that are here.

Thanks bud, I hope I can stick it through too :cool:. Will be alot of work, but totally worth it.

P.S. I totally just used the same smilie by accident lol.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Docere

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    3.5's not too hard of a GPA to maintain if you've been a consistently good student (and especially if you get into the program). Pretty much like KempDrumsalot said: stay focused and don't party too much.

I think the school's GPA points system might affect how easy it is to maintain a 3.5. If the school distinguishes between A-s and B+s, etc, it should make it a little easier than if B+s were Bs, C+s were Cs, etc.

6. OP
    OP
    ToldYouSo

ToldYouSo Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I see, tyvm!

7. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As was said earlier it does depend on the person. I personally think that success in many college classes hinges on how hard you're willing to work, and for each person the work required will be different.

Smart schedueling is also somthing to think about. I've allways tried to keep a healthy mix of "hard" and "easy" classes each semester. You probably don't want to get stuck taking calc, phsyics and chemistry all at once. Which sounds crazy, but some people use up all their "easy" classes at once and end up with a hard scheduel like that.

8. tennisball80

tennisball80 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's right. A 3.3 GPA and 3.0 GPA can make a huge difference.