Advice to Future URM Students in your Position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted853360

I'm currently a sophomore and while I have decided that I want to take a gap year, what advice do you guys have for myself or any other URM students lingering on this forum?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a sophomore and while I have decided that I want to take a gap year, what advice do you guys have for myself or any other URM students lingering on this forum?

I went to a school that was surprisingly strong when it came to preparing me for a career in science/research (a beautiful & rural HBCU that truly blessed me), but was lacking in healthcare prep or connections soooooo:
  • One thing I always suggest is to do your best to shadow and volunteer in a hospital (or clinic or whatever healthcare setting) while you're in school. It's something I didn't get until a year or so after I graduated. I know 0 doctors & there was one hospital in town that did not like/want student volunteers so that was a wrap for me.
  • However, if you're in the same boat I took advantage of all the other opportunities offered by my school in research & built a strong network & background there. This helped me a ton with employment later. I have 4+ years of research that never fails to land me at least a good PT or great contract position (note: I actually really like research, so I could be biased).
  • Volunteer in different areas if you can. My school had a lot of different organizations that it partnered with and volunteering was mandatory so I did a ton of stuff that really allowed me to see where my heart was.
  • I did a 6-month slow & steady route of MCAT prep after I got my masters, but I usually advise people to do some kind of prep course (e.g. Kaplan online or something) during school or summer break. I know it's expensive, which is why it wasn't an option for me, but looking back I would have just put it on loans while I could. It's structured, you get free books, resources, etc. & the loans are a drop in the bucket anyway.
  • Take all the suggested or relevant courses to the MCAT. My school required me to take Psych, Soc, Biochem, Genetics, etc. so I got lucky in that I never had to worry about not having a required course for any school that I applied to, but I've seen people have to go back to take them later. It just saves time and hassles later.
  • Don't let family pressures completely derail your goals. This is one that I have to actively work on everyday. I took time out to help my family for a few years & ultimately it just set me back & made them more dependent on me. You have to do better so you can do better by those you love, but you can't let them keep you from doing better. It hurts to say no, or put your money towards yourself but your future self will thank you even if your current family resents you ;)
  • Enjoy yourself & develop your people skills. I'm not a great applicant stat wise, but I love people and interacting with them. I do well during an interview because I actually enjoy talking & engaging with others. Cultivate that if it doesn't come naturally because you're going to have to become an effective communicator in order for someone to want you on their medical team (or train you as a physician).
  • Additionally, don't just neglect your social life for this journey. Develop relationships & try to stay in touch even when it takes outside effort. The friends I made in high school, college, and through work have actually been more of a support system over the years than my own blood. I don't get to see them that often (or even call them weekly) but they're my people. I'm so grateful that I decided to stop being the person that just isolates themselves when they're going through stuff. I had a great social life in college, but I lost a lot of sleep. You have to find that balance for yourself, but don't completely disregard any of the dynamic three (sleep, social, academic/work/volunteering).
Sorry this was so long-winded & jarbled! I'm working and rushed. I'll probably think of something else later & add it. Go be great :)

Reactions: 1 users