Advice to High School Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCF FINatic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While in high school, I was a part of my school's Medical Academy. Now that I have gotten into Dental School the director asked me to come in tomorrow and talk to current high school students about my path to Dental School, as well as answer any questions they have. I was wondering if anyone else might have some suggestions about important talking points. Basically, if there is anything you wish you knew about the process in high school let me know so I can address it.

So far I am going to talk about:
- My major (I am a non-traditional Business Major. I didn't know it was possible to get into Dental School with a Business Degree.)
- Prerequisite Classes (What they need to take and how it differs at each school.)
- Importance of the Pre Heath Professional Advisement Office (They really helped me out along my path.)
- Success Factors (I always buy a big calender and write all my exams in on it. Time management, etc.)
- How competitive is it (I think I read that there are about 12,000 applicants and only 36% get accepted.)
- Job Shadowing Hours (I wish I had done them when I had more time during high school.)
- UNLV Dental Simulation Lab (I am going to talk about my experience there and bring in the plastic teeth that I worked on.)
- The dreaded DAT (How much of my life I had to devote to that. Also I plan on bring in some PAT worksheets for them to look at.)
- How you can still have a life in college
- How expensive it is applying and attending Dental School

Anything else I should mention? Thanks all! I'm sure this will mean a lot to them :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

While in high school, I was a part of my school's Medical Academy. Now that I have gotten into Dental School the director asked me to come in tomorrow and talk to current high school students about my path to Dental School, as well as answer any questions they have. I was wondering if anyone else might have some suggestions about important talking points. Basically, if there is anything you wish you knew about the process in high school let me know so I can address it.

So far I am going to talk about:
- My major (I am a non-traditional Business Major. I didn't know it was possible to get into Dental School with a Business Degree.)
- Prerequisite Classes (What they need to take and how it differs at each school.)
- Importance of the Pre Heath Professional Advisement Office (They really helped me out along my path.)
- Success Factors (I always buy a big calender and write all my exams in on it. Time management, etc.)
- How competitive is it (I think I read that there are about 12,000 applicants and only 36% get accepted.)
- Job Shadowing Hours (I wish I had done them when I had more time during high school.)
- UNLV Dental Simulation Lab (I am going to talk about my experience there and bring in the plastic teeth that I worked on.)
- The dreaded DAT (How much of my life I had to devote to that. Also I plan on bring in some PAT worksheets for them to look at.)
- How you can still have a life in college
- How expensive it is applying and attending Dental School

Anything else I should mention? Thanks all! I'm sure this will mean a lot to them :thumbup:

Tell them not to slack off their freshman year of college. The gen chem and intro to biology classes are some of the easier A's to get in college. You're going to kick yourself later if you get a B or lower in there.

Are they seniors about to go to college? If they aren't, I would focus a bit on the concept of just going to college. Financial aide, scholarships, not having to pick a major right away, etc.

Tell them not to slack off their freshman year of college. The gen chem and intro to biology classes are some of the easier A's to get in college. You're going to kick yourself later if you get a B or lower in there.

Are they seniors about to go to college? If they aren't, I would focus a bit on the concept of just going to college. Financial aide, scholarships, not having to pick a major right away, etc.

That is a good point! Thanks!

Yes, they are high school seniors so I am trying to give them relevant information. Its hard finding that happy medium that is within their reach and not too far out though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I soooo agree with the above comment! Emphasis that its easier to maintain consistent grades than to slack off early and try to raise your gpa - I did that haha. As stupid as it sounds, our health professions advisor our first day said the corny replayed quote that 95% of success and life is showing up. When I first heard it I was like ummm ok haha but now that I've gotten to where I am now - realizing how important it is to show up to class (show up at dental schools early etc, show interest) and seeing how competitive it is to apply, I would totally sell that point.

Also - for anyone hesitant on being a biology major (I was because I did not like intro bio - botany/ecology nonsense) - the material gets better. It almost in a way gets easier at upper level bios because the material is more focused and less all over the place

I'm like the poster child of what not to do in undergrad - so I wish someone had told me to take good notes in pre-reqs (I did for orgo - it helped a ton for the DAT)
Oo also for prep for the DAT - biochem/physio could be recommended added courses to pre-reqs --> SDN network - how the threads can help with study materials especially for students who can't necessary take a course/get a tutor

Getting involved in an activity and showing dedication to it whether that be community service, sport, club etc

Having a life - outside of classes is important for mental health. Making time for doing things you enjoy!

The best you can do is give them the website for purchasing the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. Job shadowing in high school is a bit premature.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=797788

Yeah, instead, you should automatically commit yourself to a 4-year pre-dental track in college before knowing what the profession entails. And that ADEA guide in high school is definitely going to be relevant to them when they apply in 4 years time. Great advice. :thumbup:

Yeah, instead, you should automatically commit yourself to a 4-year pre-dental track in college before knowing what the profession entails. And that ADEA guide in high school is definitely going to be relevant to them when they apply in 4 years time. Great advice. :thumbup:

The commitment should be to a degree, not a "4-year pre dental track". Most have a difficult time deciding on a career after 2 years of college let alone high school. There aren't going to be too many high school students that have the maturity to choose a career that early in the game whether it is dentistry or any other field. The ADEA Guide would serve the purpose of familiarizing a pre dent with what getting into dental school is all about and it would certainly provide a more clear approach to ds than an hour of presentation by a dental student or any professional for that matter.

The commitment should be to a degree, not a "4-year pre dental track". Most have a difficult time deciding on a career after 2 years of college let alone high school. There aren't going to be too many high school students that have the maturity to choose a career that early in the game whether it is dentistry or any other field. The ADEA Guide would serve the purpose of familiarizing a pre dent with what getting into dental school is all about and it would certainly provide a more clear approach to ds than an hour of presentation by a dental student or any professional for that matter.

+1

Allows students to see the pre-reqs, recommended classes by the schools in their proximity, avg gpa, science gpa, and other great information. Gives a better understanding of how hard you must work in undergrad to achieve admissions to a dental school.

Sure, people have trouble deciding on a career in college; some have no problem at all. Why not get exposure to the field in high school, so that you at least know if you're remotely interested in the profession. Why would you commit to a degree in health science if you have no interest in working with anything medically related? If you go into college naive and ignorant, you're going to spend a lot of unnecessary time trying to figure it out. If I was interested in some profession in the arts, then I'd go to a college that was strong in that area; likewise with science.

Sure, people have trouble deciding on a career in college; some have no problem at all. Why not get exposure to the field in high school, so that you at least know if you're remotely interested in the profession. Why would you commit to a degree in health science if you have no interest in working with anything medically related? If you go into college naive and ignorant, you're going to spend a lot of unnecessary time trying to figure it out. If I was interested in some profession in the arts, then I'd go to a college that was strong in that area; likewise with science.

The dentistry seen though the eyes of a high school student may be quite different than that seen by a college student.

Last edited:
Depending on the school, I know some offer "reserved admissions" depending on freshman/sophomore year of college gpa and stuff of the sort. I really wish I knew about this instead of the summer between sophomore and junior years. It might be something you want to touch on if the state school offers this or just let them know that some schools offer it and if they are really interested in it to check into it!

I'd make it a point to state that if there was a specific dental school that they wanted to attend, then it will provide them with the advantage when applying for their cycle if they go to that school for undergrad.

As a highschool student, the specifics of the path to dental school are not quite as important as determining whether or not one wants to take that path. You talk about so many different topics, all of which could be its own seminar.

If you ask them how many of them want to become a dentist, I doubt anyone would raise their hand. It depends on how much time you have with them, but don't overwhelm them with too information. I would start with the basics and introduce them to dentistry. Let them get a feel for the field, and you can always hold more seminars on more detailed topics later. You're definitely on the right track with the list of topics you have so far. Focus on how to be a good student, and how to succeed in college. Guide them so that they can develop their interest in dentistry. Those that are interested in dentistry will seek more information as they want it.

my brother is in high school now; hes a senior. i always give him the same three bits of advice, which seems relevant to his train of thought:

1. pick a college you will do well in. dont go to an overly hard school with a big name thinking that the name will guarantee you a good life.

2. pick a major you will do well in. dont be a bio major just because its typical. if you want to major in chemistry, it better be because you enjoy it!

3. dont say you want to be a doctor for superficial reasons. think about it, talk to advisers, and explore all your options.

my brother is in high school now; hes a senior. i always give him the same three bits of advice, which seems relevant to his train of thought:

1. pick a college you will do well in. dont go to an overly hard school with a big name thinking that the name will guarantee you a good life.

2. pick a major you will do well in. dont be a bio major just because its typical. if you want to major in chemistry, it better be because you enjoy it!

3. dont say you want to be a doctor for superficial reasons. think about it, talk to advisers, and explore all your options.

LOL I don’t want to get off topic, but this is almost exactly what I did. I go to a ridiculously hard school and am a bio major…but the money part isn’t me. (I’d been considering other fields but they just bore me).

I guess my point is the best advice you can give them is "do what you gotta do.” AKA go to class, do ur work, app to college and don’t stress too much about beyond college until you’re there. I know I didn’t decide on what I truly wanted to do until this past summer and I’m a senior lol.